• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New life for the old red HCS

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Looks great Marty!

What part of the striping instructions was not correct? The dimensions back from the wheel opening?

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Jon,
Yes the dimentions back from the wheel opening. The dimentions down from the beltline were spot on. Marty

GT/CS S Code

Sky High?

I don't know if it's just because of the angle that you shot that photo, but it looks like your HCS is way up in the air like a 4X4!
:confused:
(... the drive train IS already installed, right?)

franklinair

What IS the correct measurement for the front fender stripe placement, and how/where did you find it?

Neil

Mosesatm

On the ones I've done I eyeballed it using a laser level.

Where do you want the measurement taken from?
On the cars I currently own the bottom of one is 1" above the top of the bumper, and the other one is 1.5" above it.
I think 1.5" looks better.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Maybe this should become it's own thread instead of hijacking Marty's... but....

I took some stripe measurements of my unrestored HCS this morning and they don't even match from one side to the other!

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I don't know if it's just because of the angle that you shot that photo, but it looks like your HCS is way up in the air like a 4X4!
:confused:
(... the drive train IS already installed, right?)

Well it is a HIGH country special! LOL. I did shoot from near the floor and it has no fuel yet but it is high in the rear. I even ordered my rear springs from Eaton Spring Co. who was Fords supplyer. I am going to order a new set and move those to our poor old 68 fastback that we load to the hilt when we travel. You may have noticed in the pictures I posted of it in CA it was a low rider. You are use to the low S code look too. I think the front will settle a bit after I drive it. Marty

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

What IS the correct measurement for the front fender stripe placement, and how/where did you find it?

Neil

Neil we used the measurements out of the last GT-CS book a compared them to Scott Fuller's unrestored High County Special witch was very helpful in placing the HCS decal. The book called for 4'' down from the beltline at the head light bucket and 4 1/8'' at the back edge of the door. What worked at the fender was cutting it of where the fender flair started. In the rear the book called out 8'' it ended up being more like 6''. What was realy tough was cutting out the stripe for the decal. I also wanted to thank Bob teets for selling me one of the last four original HCS decal sets.
We were talking as we agonized over the exact placement they probly only spent a few minutes installing them in the assembly plant. Marty

felviner

I bet thoes two guys were reliefed to see you satisfied with their work .
No stress he's only a gold card judge :smile:

Very well done , can't wait to see it out on the road in shows ,
How knows I might see it in person in 2014 if I manage to come for the 50th celebrations
Regards

GTCSMustang

I have just finished the dual exhaust for Marty's HCS and thought I'd post a few photos here (with his permission). The exhaust is the coorect style dual exhaust for all 1968 302/390 GT Mustangs. Correct H-pipe with inboard stop tabs, double-hump resonators with alignment and stop tabs welded to outlet pipes, C8ZA-5230-C FoMoCo transverse muffler with proper date code and alignment notches in inlet pipes, and stamped tailpipes with FoMoCo and engineeing numbers (Marty already has the tips, so they are not shown). All copied from original assembly line exhaust system components and confirmed with Ford engineering drawings. Can't wait to see it installed.

Thanks for the purchase Marty, I appreciate the business.

Scott Fuller
www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 29

sportyworty

Scott is a true asset to our hobby. He is a perfectionist and his systems are well received by the Shelby members of SAAC, Cobra Jet members of 428 Registry and the Boss 302/429 members of the Boss Forum. Lots of reviews and testimonials. Definately something that will set your car apart from the rest and take it to the next level. These systems are exact and are considered acceptable in the Concours Gold level of jusging with MCA, Team Shelby and SAAC. They are indistinquishable from the original set installed at production of your car.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Wow Scott that looks great. I love the 5-68 build date on the muffler. I can't wait to see it on the car too! Every other exhuast syestem that I have installed required many trips to the local muffler shop to get things fitted. Your pictures speaks for them self. What I realy like about you Scott is that you are not only a great parts reproducer but a real car guy, a exhaust syestem in the house on the pool table speaks volumes LOL. Marty

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I had a good wekend on the old red HCS. We got the new exhaust installed and wow I could not belive how easy a correct exhaust syestem could be to install. It is perfect that if it came from a Frord wrapper youu would think it was NOS with no shelf wear. Thanks Scott!
We also got it running and drove it to have the accent stripe hand painted by Bob Bond one of the nations best pen stripers. I can see the end and that is a good thing as I have it registered for the MCA grand national in Mustang OK. Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 007_crop.jpg
    68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 007_crop.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 006_crop.jpg
    68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 006_crop.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 001_crop.jpg
    68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 001_crop.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 42