• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New life for the old red HCS

Ruppstang

I got my 67 coupe sold so I now have the green light to start the restoratoin on our 68 HCS. Last weekend I got it started and thought I would take her for one last drive. She was running so well I could not resist putting the pedal down and hearing the secondarys open. Ah the smell of fresh rubber. Since she has no valid license plats I drove her back to the shop to start disassembly, I felt a bit bad taking her apart with a warm engine. I then noticed the water pump was leaking and that bit of fun outside had also caused the heater core to start leaking. It was time to make her young and sexy again. If you would like to follow her journey you can visit her on this web site http://68hcs.weebly.com Marty

Attachments

• AACA national Topeka 027.JPG
    AACA national Topeka 027.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 79

J_Speegle

Looks like a great start - but don't tease us. What kind of options did this one originally have.

hicountrybob

I got my 67 coupe sold so I now have the green light to start the restoratoin on our 68 HCS. Last weekend I got it started and thought I would take her for one last drive. She was running so well I could not resist putting the pedal down and hearing the secondarys open. Ah the smell of fresh rubber. Since she has no valid license plats I drove her back to the shop to start disassembly, I felt a bit bad taking her apart with a warm engine. I then noticed the water pump was leaking and that bit of fun outside had also caused the heater core to start leaking. It was time to make her young and sexy again. If you would like to follow her journey you can visit her on this web site http://68hcs.weebly.com Marty

Marty, have you noticed that Curtis, who sold you my old red HCS out of Ernie Gonzales' collection, has been posting on our site here with pictures of Ernie's back yard showing ours and many of the other CS and HCS that Ernie sold him. He goes under www.mustang biz.biz/ - Look up his posts and see his picture posts of "the way it was". Enjoy. See you in Seattle. PS, give me a call one evening and we can tell lies to one another. Bob Teets here. 303-424-3866

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Jeff it is a C code with a C4 automatic, white paint stripe, AM radio,tinted glass, wheel covers and interior decor group. Of the 251 HCSs 12 had the interior decor group. This car was Bob Teet's first HCS. When he owned it he added 4V carb, floor console, disc brakes, tach dash, AM-FM radio, chrome styled steel wheels and head rests. I am going to add factory air and a tilt column. It will be a blast to drive to shows. Marty

di81977

Always nice to see another red HCS coming back to life. Keep us updated and have fun.

david

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I just finished phase 1 disassembly. She looks pretty humble. Check out the progress on the web site. Marty

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 56

mustang.biz

Hey Marty, progress is looking great! i'm curious, what exactly is the "white paint stripe" option? Is that stripes on the hood?

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

White accent paint stripe was a option any 68 mustang could have had. It was a pin stripe that ran down the top side body line. It is some thing that you do not see that ofter on HCS or GT-CS. I am not sure I like it but most likely will put it back on. I think I have a old picture of it I'll try to post it. Marty
The pictures are from a photo board that Bob Teets made when he restored the car.

Attachments

• HCS restoration 003.JPG
    HCS restoration 003.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 45
  • HCS restoration 002.JPG
    HCS restoration 002.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

bassman2

Thanks for posting all of this... My project is slightly behind yours - but not too far! Can't wait to see it after blasting!

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Well they finely updated the web site. You can see some of the things that I have been working on. They promise the media blasting section is to be up soon. Not a lot of good news there. Click on the web site below and check it out. Marty

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Saturday was the day I have been waiting for over a year. I picked up the HCS from the body shop. It looks great, like a blank canvas waiting for the artist. It will be fun bolting up many of those parts that I have been restoring for months. They have the web site updated through the body repairs and soon to add the paint section. Here are a couple of pictures of the guys that did the work. Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS 035.JPG
    68 HCS 035.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 68 HCS 037.JPG
    68 HCS 037.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 54

hicountrybob

White accent paint stripe was a option any 68 mustang could have had. It was a pin stripe that ran down the top side body line. It is some thing that you do not see that ofter on HCS or GT-CS. I am not sure I like it but most likely will put it back on. I think I have a old picture of it I'll try to post it. Marty
The pictures are from a photo board that Bob Teets made when he restored the car.

Marty, the accent pin stripe was on your car when we bought it (in origional paint) and I believe is listed on that sales invoice or window sticker on this car. Is that so???? What's the Marti Report show? I like the accent and I even put it on my Highland Green HC in gold paint and also gold Cal Sp tape, 'cause it realy looks super nice with the gold nugget interior, even tho i know this color was not proper for Cal and HC cars but was proper on ''68 GT cars. You know, TO EACH IS OWN. Bob T. here.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Marty, the accent pin stripe was on your car when we bought it (in origional paint) and I believe is listed on that sales invoice or window sticker on this car. Is that so???? What's the Marti Report show? I like the accent and I even put it on my Highland Green HC in gold paint and also gold Cal Sp tape, 'cause it realy looks super nice with the gold nugget interior, even tho i know this color was not proper for Cal and HC cars but was proper on ''68 GT cars. You know, TO EACH IS OWN. Bob T. here.

Bob yes it was on the Marti report. Here is a picture of it on your board. I am not sure I want it, I need to see what it looks like on your car with the GT-CS stripes. I thought I can all ways add it. Marty

Attachments

• HCS restoration 002.JPG
    HCS restoration 002.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Finely some progress. I worked with a freind all last weekend and we finished the interior, installed the lights and grill and striped it. Some of the striping instructions in the last GT-CS book are incorrect regarding where the strip ends behind the front fender well. I can't wait for that first drive. I hope to have it at the MCA grand national Labor day weekend. Marty

Attachments

• HCS Restoration at RA Motersports 011_crop.jpg
    HCS Restoration at RA Motersports 011_crop.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 41
  • HCS Restoration at RA Motersports 009_crop.jpg
    HCS Restoration at RA Motersports 009_crop.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 53