• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New car (temporarily)

rvrtrash

A buddy of mine became very ill, and will never be able to drive again, so his wife asked me sell his hot rod to help with expenses. I bought it myself, but my son might want it for his wife's birthday. '47 Dodge with a cheby S10 chassis, 350, auto. The engine is seized and the tranny leaks, but those are easy fixes. I'm taking it to him this coming weekend to see if he wants it. If not, I have a new toy to fix and flip.

Steve

Attachments

• 47 dodge.jpg
    47 dodge.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 39

somethingspecial

Very COOL. I have always liked the older Dodge vehicles, especially the 1935-36 era cars. Mike

Ruppstang

I would hate to guess how many hours it would take to build a hot rod like that not to mention the $$$.
Steve did you finish your Boss?

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I haven't finished the Boss, unfortunately. Between babysitting grandkids in Seattle, working on house projects, working on other vehicles (like replacing the entire cooling system in my F250), rafting in the summer, skiing in the winter, and working on the Fairlane convertible, I've had little time. I have been buying parts for it though. $1200 for the correct distributor with vac advance!

Steve

somethingspecial

I have been buying parts for it though. $1200 for the correct distributor with vac advance!

Steve

Oh Good. I thought I was the only one who would pay that for a correct date coded and part numbered Distributor, no vacuum advance attached. Back when I restored my S code, I found one on ebay and I told my wife I was going to buy it. She said good luck and almost crapped her pants when I threw a bid of $800.00 on it at the last minute. I ended up winning at $200.00, lucky for me and my health. LOL

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I wish my distributor was that cheap! I spent the money on the dist., but can't bring myself to drop the $5K for a correct carb. There's a limit to my insanity. :tongue:

Steve

robert campbell

I missed this post!!! That looks like a fun project. And 5k for numbers correct carb.... Woo hoo would that be a waste of bucks in my mind!!

But who the heck am I!!

Rob

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Ya, there's no way I can spend that kind of money on a carb that never worked that well when it was brand new anyway (which is why everyone removed them). I can buy a lot of recycled oil, I mean, dark beer, for that kind of money!

I don't have to worry about another project. My kid took the truck in a heartbeat and is already taking the thing apart to fix it. He fell in love with it as soon as he saw it.

Steve

CougarCJ

I wouldn't sweat the D1ZF-ZA Autolite carburetor at this time. Get a Holley, most folks wouldn't know that the Boss 351's came with an Autolite carburetor from the factory.

Here is some trivia for you guys and gals.
The 1971 429 Cobra Jet engines came with Rochester Quadrajet carburetors. That's right, a Chevy carburetor.
429 Super Cobra Jets did come with Holley carburetors, but along with the Holley's, they had to have thermactor smog pumps.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Agreed Scott. Even if I found one at a super price, I wouldn't put it on the car. It would just be there if I ever sold it, for extra originality. From what I've read, they're very difficult to keep working correctly. Not one of Ford's better designs.

Steve