• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need some smart peoples views

All right heres the deal, I'v been a long time 'stang fan first time buyer. I'v been looking for one the past year and this guy will sale me his CS for $8000. Now here is the catch I know very little about these special addition Mustangs (mainly b/c I thought I would never get the chance to afford one.) Now i'm 90% sure its the real thing according to the vin and everything. Its a 289 auto with less than 100k original miles. Everything else looks/runs fine other than the interior needs replacing and a paint job. Outside that its in exxcellent condiotion. So any feed back would be highly apprecialted. ; :D

-Mackie

davidathans

the vin # needs to start with 8R01 because 8 stands for 68 the only year cs's were built, R stands for: built at san jose plant, which is the only place cs's were built, the 01 stands for hardtop, because all cs's are hardtops.

I hope you buy it and the only thing i will say is that you are going to put a lot of money into it :) but once you do it will be as eye catchy as a ferrari and if you put money into the engine you can be as fast.

Good luck,
David Athans

darb

Well, I'll give you heads up:

That seems like a fair offer. I purchased my GT/CS in roughly the same condition you are describing for: $7500

After all of the parts / replacements / paint / interior, and finding more and more problems through the restoration - I came out at: $14,000 total into the car (including purchase)

So, I would go for it. It's a good price, in my opinion, but be aware of the cost for the restoration.

quicknick

If you are serious about paying out that kind of money for a classic Mustang, the first thing you want to do is invest in a Marti Report. (See this website for the info)
Be sure it is a true GT/CS. Also, try to find out as much history on the car as you can from the current owner. It is wise to bring a professional body man and/or a Mustang expert with you for a closer inspection.
Forget about flashy and fast! Be sure the $8000.00 car you are purchasing is really worth $8000.00.
Good Luck. I hope this endevor works out for you.
Nicholas

rvrtrash

Check to see if the fiberglass parts are original or repop. If they're all aftermarket, chances are greater it's not real. The bottom of the deck lid should have a dimpled texture, kind of like an orange peel. All the parts will be a pinkish color. Look up in the cavities in the spoiler area. Unless the paint is scratched, it will be hard to tell on the taillight panel, 1/4 ext.'s and scoops without taking them off. Hope this helps.
Steve

68gt390

Mackie;
Regardless of looking at the fiberglass texture or even if it has a repop trunk lid etc., get the Marti Report. It will show if it is a true GT/CS. I purchased mine back in Feb 04 in Seattle, WA. I had the Marti Report fax'd to me prior to buying the car. I then flew out to Seattle to look at the car. My mind was already made up simply because the car was a big block 390, 4 spd. Paint and body work had been done back in 97 and I was pleased to find that the paint was still in excellent condition. Interior and engine was crap but, I figured being able to get a big block GT/CS wasn't an everyday event. Bottom line, since purchase $16,500 and about $6,000 later, total $22,500 car is now done. New interior, rebuilt engine with mods, new grille and fog lights, the car appraised for over $30,000. Granted getting the appraised value is not always possible, I now have a car that has taken 4 best of show's and has placed in every show I've taken her to. Besides, I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. That's just my take on it. Even a small block GT/CS is worth getting if you can. Just make sure you get the Marti Report to authenticate the car. Look at my gallery pictures on page 1 of the gallery under Don Potter and you'll see what she looks like today. Gallery shows both before and after pics. Good luck with your decision.

Don ;D ;D ;D