• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need pics of J code 302 4V

dpheyes

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to finish setting up my engine and hopefully fire it up by Christmas! I'm in need of some closeup pics of the top of the engine so I can make sure everything is correctly installed, hoses routed, etc.

I have a J code with a 4-speed manual, manual steering, no emissions, no A/C. The carb is the stock Autolite 4V. I'm running a 14" Hi-PO style aircleaner in place of the original. I'm particularly interested in the vacuum hose routing, spark plug wires, heater hoses, coil, dipstick, and guage wiring.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug

CougarCJ

Unless your car came originally from Canada or has an export DSO, it should have emissions.

Gonna be tough to find a correct picture of factory non-emissions manual transmission set up. My 1968 XR7 is a 302-4V export car and was a 3 speed manual. To many changes on mine to be of any use.

When you say 'correct' are you meaning, engine tag placement, distributor dual advance, carburetor linkage, etc.

Canada DSO cars have an open emissions system, kind of a carryover from 1967.
US cars had IMCO on cars with automatic. Thermactor (air pump) on all manual transmission cars and automatic vehicles with the Holley carburetor.

Wiring harnesses you mentioned, I think has the same installation for all 289/302 engines in 1968.

OP
OP
D

dpheyes

My car came with a 69 351W 4V MT that was installed when the PO blew the factory 302 4V, and there is nothing left from that. I have a "new" rebuilt 347 stroker I've installed.

I have astock Autolite 4100 carb which has two vacuum fittings on the front and two on the rear. A distributor with a single diaphram vacuum advance. It's got a closed PCV system with the PCV hose connecting to the rear of the carb spacer and the oil cap breather tube connecting to the Hi-Po style air cleaner.

I'm trying to determine things like:

Does it need a distributor vacuum control valve? Does it need an intake manifold vacuum fitting with multiple connections? What is the correct vacuum hose set up for this situation. What about the carb vacuum fittings - are they all used? If IMCO means "IMproved COmbustion" does it include hardware and if so, what?

So I guess what I'm looking for is pictures or a vacuum diagram of a 302 4V MT w/o AC & non-CA emissions. None of the normally available vacuum hose diagrams seem to fit the situation, even with the factory air cleaner.

Mosesatm

Are any of these what you're looking for?

Attachments

• 68 Vacuum 20f35.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f35.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Distributor Vacuum 2.jpg
    Distributor Vacuum 2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Distributor Vacuum 1.jpg
    Distributor Vacuum 1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 68 Vacuum 20f40.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f40.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 68 Vacuum 20f38.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f38.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 68 Vacuum 20f37.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f37.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 68 Vacuum 20f36.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f36.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29

CougarCJ

Generally speaking the Autolite 4100 was last used in 1966, except for a couple of exceptions in 1967.

I like the 4100 carburetor, I have one on my 1968 Cougar. The GT/CS will also be getting one.

I am out of ideas to make your engine compartment look 'correct'. You have made too many 'modifications' to fool most classic Mustang fanatics.

franklinair

IIRC, 1968 302's used a 4300 carb. But since your setup will not conform to the pure '68 appearance, all you can do is try to come close.

Neil

Last edited:

robert campbell

Are any of these what you're looking for?

Wow!!! I am glad I do not care about original stuff!! Not only is it complicated, it don't do squat for makin the tires squeel!!

Rob "chop shop" Campbell

But Arlie is amazing in his depth of background on the stock stuff!! He should submit it for inclusion in the new GT/CS book!

Rob

OP
OP
D

dpheyes

Sorry guys, I have the 4300 carb, just got the # mixed up with my dad's '65! I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm trying for historical accuracy, I just want it to run right (and squeal the tires, Rob)!

I think I figured out the IMCO vs. Thermactor issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong... Because this is a manual transmission, it should have a thermactor system. But because that doesn't affect the engine operation - it only helps burn unburnt fuel in the exhaust - and since I have headers instead of manifolds, it's not needed in my case.

Arlie, I think this diagram will work for my situation if I delete the air cleaner override hose. So that means the dist vac advance hose goes to the distribution tee. The top Distribution tee connects to the front bottom fitting on the carb, and the PCV hose goes to the large fitting on the carb spacer. I'm assuming that I should just cap the other two small vacuum fittings (one front top, one rear top) on the carb.

I'm still trying to get some info on routing for the heater hoses, and especially the location of the coil (I've seen it in 3 different locations in pics), and routing of the guage wiring after it runs along the valve cover (how the wires are routed to the coil and distributor).

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Doug

Attachments

• 68 Vacuum 20f37.jpg
    68 Vacuum 20f37.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 24

franklinair

Of the various '68's I've had (289 & 302) the coil is mounted horizontly on the right (passenger side) of the distributor. To duplicate the "mustard top" coils, I carefully mask the top and paint it with John Deere yellow (Ace Hardware). Its a perfect match to the original coil.
I have photos of the 302 I recently finished, but for some reason I can't upload them onto this site. Send me your e-mail, and I can send them to you.

Neil

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...I have photos of the 302 I recently finished, but for some reason I can't upload them onto this site. Send me your e-mail, and I can send them to you.

Neil

Hmm...the only reason I can think of is the file is too big? See if you can reduce the pixels and try again. I (for one) would love to see your latest works, Neil :)

Midnight Special

Photos from Neil...

Of the various '68's I've had (289 & 302) the coil is mounted horizontally on the right (passenger side) of the distributor. To duplicate the "mustard top" coils, I carefully mask the top and paint it with John Deere yellow (Ace Hardware). Its a perfect match to the original coil.
I have photos of the 302 I recently finished...

Neil

Here's Neil's photos.

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 44