• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need Help

icecreamman

I put my 289 back in the car and had it running.Ran great.
I started it took it for a drive everything ok.

took it out today and it wont start.jump the solonoid and it starts. The solonoid is new.

bought another new solonoid and it still wont turn over but it starts if I jump the solonoid again?

What is wrong?

thanks

Mosesatm

Have you recently removed the ignition switch? If so are you sure you plugged it back in securely? I once had a loose ignition switch connection that drove me crazy for weeks. Some will say the results were permanent but that's another story.

68gt390

Since you've replaced the solonoid also check the cable that runs down to your starter and make sure it is tight. I had a problem with mine and when I checked the starter cable it had worked it's self loose some how.

Don ;)

OP
OP
I

icecreamman

I CHECKED THE POWER WIRE TO THE SOLONOID AND THERE IS NO POWER WHEN YOU TURN ON THE KEY OR CRANK

rvrtrash

If you have an automatic transmission, check your Neutral Safety switch. If the switch is bad, not connected or not adjusted so it's closed when the trans. is in Park or Neutral, you won't get any power to the solenoid.
Steve

rvrtrash

You guys are so lucky you can't see me doing my "Victory Dance". :eek:

Steve

hcsstang

When the console is out replace the shifter bushing. I had to jiggle the auto shifter to get it started. I had to take out the console and had a heck of a time lining the holes up.

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=2156;start=0#msg14659 date=1127538723]
You guys are so lucky you can't see me doing my "Victory Dance". :eek:

Steve
[/quote]

Having met you at least I can picture it. :eek: :eek: ::) ::)

Cory

rvrtrash

I hope you don't lie awake late at night thinking about it! ;)

Steve

hookedtrout

I wish I had that option, right now I'm working graveyard shift so I run around awake all night thinking about it, then I lay awake all day wishing I could sleep or had enough ambition to actually do something productive. Oh well a couple more days and I'm off for a 5 day weekend and it's off to the hills camping for more than likely the last family camp outing before the snow if the snow doesn't beat me to it. Been colder and close to snow every night here the past few nights.

Cory

rvrtrash

I know how you feel. I hated graveyard when I was on it. Different subject. Don't forget to mark the first weekend of April on your calender for the swap meet in Portland.

Steve

P

PNewitt

Since we're on the subject....

IF you have an in-dash tach (and maybe if you don't, too), there is a fusable link wire that can fry, and when you turn the key, it turns the starter, but the engine won't run. It want to--but it won't stay on.

This wire is white (or pink?), and (I think?) it has a cloth-like wire sheath on it, too.

Just to pass it on--'cause mine did this trick when I was on a date 25 years ago in San Diego.

Paul N.

19HCS68

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=2156;start=0#msg14749 date=1127931599]

Just to pass it on--'cause mine did this trick when I was on a date 25 years ago in San Diego.

Paul N.
[/quote]

Sounds like the "we're outta gas trick" to me. That's a better one though, more original. ;)

Gary

P

PNewitt

That "trick" didn't work. She wasn't amused.

Just like the time when my starter jammed, and I thought I'd blown the engine, slept on it, and the next morning, pulled out the starter, and a piece of metal from the previous starter (that had self-grenaded) had cleverly wedged itself in a zig-zag method between the flywheel and starter gear.

She wasn't amused at that one, either. Needless to say, it wasn't a long relationship (with her, that is). <<sigh>>

Paul N.

p.s. strange sidenote. After we broke up, her dad got her a green GT/CS. <<sigh#2>>