• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

nada value for CS and HCS

CS68

I was browsing thru nada.com to check on the price of my CS and I wonder why the price for a HCS is cheaper than the CS. the high retail value for the HCS is $23,200 an for the CS is $26,000 do you feel that is correct.

Mosesatm

Ah yes, the eternal GT/CS vs HCS debate. Here's my take on it. For those of you who remember the flack I took for the Nissan opinion get ready for another onslaught of rebuttals.

In our minds the HCS is one of the rarest cars on the planet so it should be valuable but, because it is so rare, it is also unknown in the gerneral classic car market. It is also not well known in the classic Mustang market. Supply and demand would tell us that such a limited supply should demand high prices. The kicker is that since so few people know about the cars the demand is even less than the supply. That could be one reason for the lower prices.

Another reason might be that, in my purely personal opinion, the GT/CS looks better. The California Special script adds a lot to the looks of the car. And, again just my opinion, I think the "GT/CS" on the scoop looks much better than the HCS emblem.

I think that if we parked an HCS next to a GT/CS and asked folks which one they would rather own (based on looks only) the GT/CS would win over 75% of the time. Better looking cars are worth more.

A third possible reason for the lower prices is that some people may look at the HCS as a lesser version of the GT/CS since it doesn't have the script. It could be looked at like Shelby making a couple hundred cars and leaving the GT350 or GT500 emblems off. Ok, maybe not the best example but I hope you get my point.

One last reason could be that the Californiia Special production numbers of 4118 include the 251 HCSs so even in our own community we tend to marginalize the HCS. Why are the HCSs included in the production figures? Shouldn't we separate them?

One more example then I'm done. The 6-cylinder GT/CSs are quite rare so, using the rare=valuable logic, they should be more valuable than a 289 version or a 302 version. I guess it depends on how one looks at it but I would say that in most people's minds production numbers for these almost-identical cars don't mean squat.

Most car buyers make their decisions with their hearts inistead of studying production figures. That said....I still believe that the HCSs will eventually become quite a bit more valuable that the GT/CSs but it will take educating the automotive community one person at a time for that to happen.

Last edited:

Mustanger

I agree with what Arlie says for the most part, but maybe I can simplfy the car value issue:

1) rarity
2) condition, and most importantly ...
3) how much does the buyer want it

You can have a 1 of 1 car in mint condition, but if John Doe would rather have a mass produced car that has been cleverly marketed and selling for big bucks ... I think you get the picture ...

390cs68rcode

one thing to remember is that they try and make values from documented sales of cars. Not many recent HCS sales might mean lower prices since the data is old. More CS data. I have seen a number of CS's sell for $22k plus recently, mine included (small block).

hookedtrout

One more item to the equation, GT/CS's were manufactured for one year only, HCS's were manufactured for multiple years, the body style that matches the GT/CS is just the the 1968 model year HCS. I doubt that it plays a big role but it is part of the equation.

Cory

admin

Staff member
Administrator
All good points and I agree that they probably all factor in to the perception of lower HCS values. (Of course my HCS and I take issue with a few of Mosesatm's aesthetic theories! :wink:)

One more is the simple fact that the GT/CS has the word "California" in it's name. I think for many that conjures up the 60's era West Coast muscle car scene, which helps with the emotional attachment to these cars.

gt bandit

I agree with the Administrator on this ONE ----- its that California dreaming feeling all the Baby Boomer's are chasing

And us gen X just simply want a different look to the thousands of 68 coupes on the road!!

The HCS is also simply to hard to get hold of and probably only appreciated by those in the Know ------------------------------------------

Jayscal

gt bandit said:
And us gen X just simply want a different look to the thousands of 68 coupes on the road!

This is the exact reason I bought my CS in 1984. There were so many classic Mustnags running around back then, I wanted something different. Lucky me, 22 years later.:icon_ecst

BroadwayBlue

I admit, the look got me interested but the history sold me.
If I didn't research the CS I wouldn't have realized the rarity of the HCS.

I do admit though that talking to people at car shows here in NY, they are aware of the HCS even those slightly familiar with the CS seem to know something about them. So there seems to be a decent amount of info out there but it's not translating into the prices for some reason.
Although does anyone have a recent eBAY history on HCS's or other listings to judge the "recent sales" theory that NADA is getting?

Rich

hicountrybob

BroadwayBlue said:
I admit, the look got me interested but the history sold me.
If I didn't research the CS I wouldn't have realized the rarity of the HCS.

I do admit though that talking to people at car shows here in NY, they are aware of the HCS even those slightly familiar with the CS seem to know something about them. So there seems to be a decent amount of info out there but it's not translating into the prices for some reason.
Although does anyone have a recent eBAY history on HCS's or other listings to judge the "recent sales" theory that NADA is getting?

Rich
I'm on Ebay "1968 Mustang" almost daily and one or two other sites when time permits. And I can't remember the last time (with the exception of last week when we caught that '68 HCS listed as a Cal. Sp) that I've seen a '68 HCS listed on any site. How about you guys and gals?? I,too, am thinking that the price guide info is dated because those researchers are not finding any currant sales either. So, how can they price our S, X, and R coded HCS? hicountry Bob here.

Mosesatm

The last one I remember is the yellow one from New Jersey. Went for around $13,000 to someone from this site.

390cs68rcode

hicountrybob said:
I'm on Ebay "1968 Mustang" almost daily and one or two other sites when time permits. And I can't remember the last time (with the exception of last week when we caught that '68 HCS listed as a Cal. Sp) that I've seen a '68 HCS listed on any site. How about you guys and gals?? I,too, am thinking that the price guide info is dated because those researchers are not finding any currant sales either. So, how can they price our S, X, and R coded HCS? hicountry Bob here.

Bob

I can price your R code for you. When I price it will you sell it to me? :grin:

Like I said before I believe the HCS cars do not have enough historical sales data to give the price guide accurate values.

68MustangHCS

Mosesatm said:
The last one I remember is the yellow one from New Jersey. Went for around $13,000 to someone from this site.
I picked that one up. There was one that sold much higher that was restored as a Lime Green California Special with a HCS DSO. I believe members from this site contacted the guy and the car bidding went crazy.

Midnight Special

Mustanglvr said:
These cars need more publicity. Plain and simple.

...Then let's get busy!! WEAR THESE EVERYWHERE ;-)

...Oh yeah, by the way - the 'order webpage' will be posted here tomorrow. 'just finished a li'l tweaking... Sorry again for delays.

Attachments

• HCS1.jpg
    HCS1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 21

Diesel Donna

hookedtrout said:
One more item to the equation, GT/CS's were manufactured for one year only, HCS's were manufactured for multiple years, the body style that matches the GT/CS is just the the 1968 model year HCS. I doubt that it plays a big role but it is part of the equation.

Cory

I was just gonna say that!