• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. My 351 dip

nfrntau

My 351W dip stick has a problem. At first I thought I might have burned a bunch of oil during break in. So I added oil until it appeared on my dip stick. Hasn't used any since. Just because I have been wondering, tonight my car got it's first oil change at 117 miles. Fired it up to fill the filter, let it sit during dinner and then checked the oil level. Just as I expected, it just tickles the tip of the dip stick with 5 quarts and a new filter.

Can anyone tell me if the 351 is supposed to take 6 quarts?
I'm expecting a no answer on that one which leads me to my next question.
Can someone tell me how long the dip stick is supposed to be for a 351W?
Mine is 18 3/4" long and the dip stick tube is 11 3/8" in length.

Thanks All

CougarCJ

My 1969 351W dipstick is 22-1/4" long (end of shroud to tip) and the tube is about 12-3/4" of visible tube.

The part number on my dipstick is C9OE-6750-B.

Sounds like you have a 302 tube and dipstick?

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks,
Looks like I'm on a new mission. I'lll check the part number when I get home today. Those measurements will really help out.

Cheers
Bill

di81977

I am in Europe this week, but can measure mine when I return. Mine takes 5 qts and registers full just above the fill line.

david

DeadStang

Aside from the wrong part, it may be that your dip stick tube isn't driven far enough down into the hole it belongs in. I have that problem in one of my '69 351Ws. It is a tight fit and the tube, etc, was painted. We drove it in and realized it wouldn't go all the way...but it is wedged in so tight it won't come out to try and remove the paint and get a better fit.

BTW, your 351W takes 5 quarter with an oil and filter change, as long as it has the stock oil pan.

Mosesatm

My 351W dip stick has a problem. At first I thought I might have burned a bunch of oil during break in. So I added oil until it appeared on my dip stick. Hasn't used any since. Just because I have been wondering, tonight my car got it's first oil change at 117 miles. Fired it up to fill the filter, let it sit during dinner and then checked the oil level. Just as I expected, it just tickles the tip of the dip stick with 5 quarts and a new filter.

Can anyone tell me if the 351 is supposed to take 6 quarts?
I'm expecting a no answer on that one which leads me to my next question.
Can someone tell me how long the dip stick is supposed to be for a 351W?
Mine is 18 3/4" long and the dip stick tube is 11 3/8" in length.

Thanks All

How far is it from where the oil reads now to the "Full" mark? That dimension should help narrow down where the problem lies.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

But I had thought it wasnt the size of your dipstick that counts??

:lipsseal:

Not the size, the length. It's not reaching in there far enouph to get wet. lol

The housing tube is seated all the way
I ordered a new one with billet top, only $15 so I'll see how that turns out.
Thanks all