• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lucas Square 8 mounting stud

patnpat

Hi All:

Can anyone tell me the size and pitch of the Square 8 mounting stud? Is it Whitworth, SAE, or Metric? I need to make a replacement for one of our light pedestals. I am not at home to measure.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

somethingspecial

The blueprints call out 3/8-20 (BFT) thread pitch, I could not find BFT anywhere. What does BFT stand for? (British Fine Thread)? I found some 3/8-20 Taps on Ebay which I purchased and came from GB. They are 60 degree thread pitch angle, not 55 degrees which is Whitworth. The 60 degree pitch seems to be correct with all the investigation I have done. The taps match the pitch on the stud and the nuts I have made and tapped with the taps I ordered match and thread on perfectly. So, IMHO, 3/-20, 60 degree thread pitch is correct for the Lucas Square Eight fog light stud/nut.

Note: When the book was written, it was the belief of the author it was Whitworth thread as the lights were from England. My investigation shows differently. Hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP
P

patnpat

Mike:
Thanks for the reply. I just need to make one light pedestal. By the time I get BSF taps shipped from England (for a one time use), buy material to make the pedestal, and include my time, I think I will just have my son buy the ready-made ones.
Pat

dalorzo_f

I believe Mike may be correct and the small sizes that the threads are basically interchangeable. You may just want to test a standard US bolt and see if it fits the "nut".

If you are missing the entire assembly, while not cheap the mount kits have all the parts to mount the lights... Machining the "tube nut" and tapping, making the "L" washers and pedestal would be a bit of machining. As you note time vs $.

OP
OP
P

patnpat

The car was originally purchased by my wife's father for his 13 year old grandson in 1988. The car has been in storage since about 1991, except for a brief stint in 2003 for a Concours and a parade. The car has been in his name and my wife's name to keep him from selling it foolishly (about 15 years ago he wanted to sell it to buy stereo equipment). He is now 39 and wants to sell it to buy a house. We think Grandpa would approve.

We are willing to help him get it back on the road, but now he tells us he is taking his family camping for the next few days! They live abut 1,200 miles away and plan to leave at the end of the month.

We have told him that if the car is not finished, it goes back into the barn!

Pat