• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking for a Bra for my Special

TraveledGTCS

Anyone know where I can obtain a 67 - 68 Mustang Bra. I've check several places and they have 64-66 and 69 on. None for the 67-68 Mustangs. What gives. There are more 67-68 Mustangs then the others. One would think there would be someone making them. I don't want to break my piggy bank, but I would like one which is well made. I'm getting tired of paint dabbing the various rock chips. I plan on repainting my Special next year I would like to have the paint to last on my next trip to eastern United States.

Thanks all for your imput.

Bill

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

It looks like that'll work, I know the only drawback is one has to remove the bra to open the hood. I was also hoping there would be a two piece set. I had checked with the place I get my Mustang parts and he didn't know of any place so I shall pass this info on to him.

Thanks for the information.

Bill

quicknick

YIKES! As a body shop owner, I cringe in terror whenever I see a bra on a car.
No matter how secure you think it is, they still move, vibrate, and rub through your paint surface. Not to mention the dirt and moisture that gets trapped underneath creating the same issues.
I enjoy touching up a customers tiny stone chips, but I really enjoy charging a customer the big money to repaint his front clip because he had a bra on his car. Just my 2 cents. I await your return fire. Nicholas

CALIF GIRL

YIKES! As a body shop owner, I cringe in terror whenever I see a bra on a car.
No matter how secure you think it is, they still move, vibrate, and rub through your paint surface. Not to mention the dirt and moisture that gets trapped underneath creating the same issues.
I enjoy touching up a customers tiny stone chips, but I really enjoy charging a customer the big money to repaint his front clip because he had a bra on his car. Just my 2 cents. I await your return fire. Nicholas

Valid point. I had the bra on my car prior to its current paint. I hated cleaning the mud from aroundit.

What is your opinion on the "transparent Film" type?

quicknick

I like the clear film coatings very much. I'm just not sure if I like the idea of putting it on my classic Mustangs. Besides, those MCA Nazi judges might deduct points for that.

Northern Pony

Bill;
I had a one piece bra on my 65 fastback. Like Nick points out the bra is more trouble than it's worth, and you certainly wont like the dirt and mud it collects. The whole bra acts as a fine abrasive on the front end and wears the paint down. You will especiall not want it when you have painted your car. I was waxing out scratches with every use, eventually tossed it. Your car is looking very good at 400,000 + miles, best to keep doing it the way you have been.
BoB

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Well, guess I'll go with the consensus - no bra. 'Sides I've gone this long without one, but I was wondering what type of response I would get opposing getting a bra. I appreciate all the feedback. There is a bra on my 2000 convertible and I do have to take it off every now and then to clean stuff out from underneath. It doesn't vibrate while driving so I thought the 67-68 one would be similar except being one piece. Maybe because the one on the 2000 is in two parts is the reason why.

Thanks again.

Bill