• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Living with a Fake?

66 Dearborn HCS

Still, I believe it's cheaper to buy the real thing, than to buy a plain jain and make it into a CS/HCS. Unless whatever you're turning into the HCS/CS is so far gone it will be pretty equally expensive either way you went with it. If it needs THAT much work, I don't want it.

hookedtrout

There was a point in time that I would have possibly used you as a source for parts Mrshelbydallas but it seems that everytime you post it is a negative reaction to something someone else has posted. Might I offer a suggestion, if you plan on making a living in the retail world by selling widgets to customers don't hang out in their den and constantly spout out negatives among them. Keep your negatives to yourself and give your point of view in a positive way.

I'm sorry but although some of your points may be valid you are attacking some of the very people that may desire your products at some point, myself included. As I stated there was a point in time that I would have used you as a resource for some parts I am going to need in my restoration but watching your continued negative approach to everything has turned me away.

Cory

[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=1;threadid=674;start=15#msg3660 date=1068700671]
It isn't impossible, or very expensive to make a perfect visual replica of a shelby part, or make a perfect GT/CS replica that would fool the Mardi report(which is illegal and I'm not promoting).

[/quote]

quicknick

Everyone here makes a lot of valid points.
Unfortunately, I do not feel flattered when I see a clone Shelby or a CS. Whatever the builder/owners intentions are...... all I see is in intent to decieve! I guess I'm getting bitter in my old age. I don't trash anyone for having a clone. I just don't admire them at the shows and don't get that feeling of "awe" like the real thing gives me.
Also, I would like to know what effect this will have on the value of our genuine cars 5, 10, 20 years down the road. Why would someone pay $20,000 for my CS when they can get an exact replica for $8000.?
Hopefully this will not come to fruition. In the meantime, nothing ticks me off more than when someone comes up to me at a car show (all the time) and asks me if it's real ! Next year I am putting a sign on my windshield stating that it is. How tacky.

Russ

I want to go back to my comment about clone/replica Cobras. I've seen real ones and replica ones at shows, and it is common for the spectator to ask if the car is a "real one". No harm here, just someone who doesn't know how to tell the real one from the replica. The value of the "real" Cobra has not suffered one bit as a result of the replicas, in fact I believe the value has risen as a result.

Another famous example is the "Eleanor" car in "Gone in Sixty Seconds". Replica/clone GT 500's have flourished since the movie, and real Shelby market values have gone crazy also.

I have to say, I'm a purist with a capital "P", but I just believe car enthusiasts have the right to do what they want with their cars if it makes them happy. As my dad always said, "That's what makes horse races." Everyone is different, and everyone has the opportunity to build a car to their specifications. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone wanted their car to be just like the other guy's???

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=674;start=15#msg3664 date=1068742851]
Wouldn't it be boring if everyone wanted their car to be just like the other guy's???
[/quote]

You mean like all the riceboys out there? They all think they're being so individual and making the car their own, but their all doing EXACTLY what all the other riceboys are doing. I've seen that trend with classic mustangs now too. Everybody wants Leman stripes, or side exhaust or wants an Eleanor replica. In trying to be so individual, they all end up being the same. Which is what I like about the HCS/CS's they're NOT like all the others.

rvrtrash

I guess I'll chime in too. As parts on cars get old, worn out or damaged, we need companies that make repro. parts so we can repair our cars and keep them on the road. Ford and the other guys don't want to do it so someone has to. When buying these parts, I want them as original as I can get, and as long as these parts are available some will create clones. I can understand the builders desires to have something they can't afford or find otherwise but don't condone it. The temptation for many would be to great to swell up their chest and say, "Yes, it's the real thing", which diminishes the appeal of the true original. I own my cars for me but I have to admit, when someone sits through their green light just to look at my car a little longer, I'm proud. I have a real problem with someone that would actively try to sell a "package". I view that as being deceitful. I've only been here a short time, but have seen posts from mrshelbydallas saying in effect, the heck with patents and such, I'm doing what I want and I'll twist things around to get it, on other issues. I agree with hookedtrout, I think he just shit in his own mess kit, so to speak.
Steve

Gandystang

I have built 2 clone Shelby GT-350 convertalbes 1968, 1970 and a "Pink" convertable GT/CS. When I took them to shows, I had a hard time telling people about the cars and telling them they were clones ( Not the real deal )and that they never made a convertiable GT/CS. It got to the point where I wouldn't go to shows and deal with the questions. I finely sold all the cars because I couldn't deal with them being clones. I sold the 1968 Gt-350 for $ 22.5 K ( ebay ) the 1970 shelby for $ 26K and had e-mail for weeks after , wanting to if the deals went thru. I sold pinky for $ 11.7 K ( ebay ) and had the same respones. I currently own 2 real GT/CS and they don't get near the attention the clones did. I can't explain my actions and why I couldn't keep the car I built from nothing. It just never felt right........

Wow, those clones sold for a lot of money. They must have been in perfect shape. This is the trend that I have observed when clones sell, they sell for a lot. So I must say it is very cost effective to add a GT/CS or shelby package to a 68 or 67 mustang. It tends to nearly double the value, or sometimes more than that if the car is in good shape.

Steve,
Lets try to stay on topic. And try to refrain from using dirty words. I assure you, that I do not deficate on the kits I sell. That would make it hard for the paint to stick.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=quicknick link=board=1;threadid=674;start=15#msg3663 date=1068740365]
Everyone here makes a lot of valid points.
Unfortunately, I do not feel flattered when I see a clone Shelby or a CS. Whatever the builder/owners intentions are...... all I see is in intent to decieve! [/quote]

Colorado Mustang Parts here in Aurora, CO has a 68 fastback that they've put all the GT/CS stuff on. Then they put a sign on it saying it is the only fastback GT/CS made. They actually are saying it's real!! And this is a business which is purposely trying to decieve the customer. It kinda pisses me off and makes me less trusting of them if they're trying to lie about something that doesn't need to be lied about. What else might they try to get away with? The car is really cool looking, but why do they feel the necessity to try to put one over on us?

My advice to anyone that spots a fake GT/CS and someone is trying to sell it for real is to just not do buisness with those people anymore. Its not taking any money out of your pocket, and its not even really your problem. Approach the wrong doers in classic car world with a more of a laissez faire attitude.

hookedtrout

I would agree that if a person or business is trying to pass off a fake that we should not do business with them if in fact they are doing it intentionally. I also think we should expose them for several reasons. First it may be that the person or business doesn't realize that the car isn't the real deal, we should also want to put an end to the car being represented as the real deal and we want to help out those that are unsuspectingly about to purchase something that isn't what it is being represented as. That's not say that a person still may decide to purchase the car but they should do it knowing exactly what it is so they have made a conscious decision.

Cory

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=1;threadid=674;start=0#msg3615 date=1068400365]
If I wanted to do that, I would just let everyone know how to fool the Marti report [/quote]

Just how would you fool a Marti Report. It's way too easy to check. The datatapes don't lie so how COULD you fool Kevin Marti. All he has to do is punch in the VIN and everyone knows it's a lie?

68sunlitgold

You can not fool the Marti Report (I mean getting your own with the VIN from the car..but of course you can make a fake copy), but what he is talking about is re-VIN ing the car...which is illegal. This is easily done by if you know what companies do this. But I agree with mrshelbydallas, I will leave that info out of this post.
Doug

68sunlitgold

It seems our topic is not a new one, I found this in a May '90 Mustang Monthly and I believe some of the issues are still valid. This is the purist view. Enjoy
Doug

(I hope this is readable)

Attachments

• Fakes_MM_May_90d.jpg
    Fakes_MM_May_90d.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 25

quicknick

Awesome article! My sentiments exactly. The more CS's out there in the world (real or fake), the less our cars will be worth. Like any other rare commodity, supply and demand play a huge part in in the value of anything collectable. Gotta keep the bloodline pure.

Russ

Just a quick question. How will you keep the bloodline "pure"? We have no control of what people do with their cars, consequently, it is important to study and read so we have the knowledge about our cars. Remember, knowledge is power.

I totally disagree with the notion that fakes/clones will reduce the value of our cars. Value is totally relative and determined by what someone will pay for a particular car.......nothing more.

Just my thoughts (again), Russ

OP
OP
G

I completely agree with Jerry Heasley's comments, and I DO think that the breed should be pure.

I've yet to see a convincing "fake" GT/CS, but I don't go for the argument that making one is for people that can't afford one.

THere's still some restorable CS cars out there, mostly in the west, for $4k-$8K; you just gotta look for them.

I'll have more to say about this later--and regarding knowledge; the GT/CS Registry is secure with knowing every nut and bolt, part and color, production changes, etc. for these cars.

Paul.