• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lights...Camera...ACTION!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim,
I am truly speechless! A true ambassador of our site in the Big Dog Garage. I am green with envy! I cannot think of anyone else to represent our great site and the GT/CS and HCS lineage. Maybe some day Jay can visit Grass Valley and see your “garage”!!! How cool would that be! Can I come??

Your son is a vision into you. Humble, helpful, and in it for nothing but the enjoyment. Again, the type of people Jay should meet. I feel privileged to have met and have you as my friend. And you should take nothing more from that compliment than a tribute to your character!

Go T.J.!!! You will go far!! And I will watch your every step! If your Dad lets me!

Rob

..Very nice Rob, Thank you :)
To recap from our other thread in "off topic", this was 100% TJ's doing through an individual here in GV who nurtures his love of cars like many of you who have visited over the years. Although I knew this trip was being planned, I had no original intention of going. That is until I mentioned how some of you thought it would be cool to take a GT/CS.

TJ said, "but dad! I'd love to take your red 390! I was going to take Mom's car, but you need a vacation and I want you to come!"

'Problem is; there was a catch... He wanted it inside & out filthy! So after some talk we embarked on a conventional means of "dusting it up" by pressure washing the ground around it, doing some ripping burnouts in the driveway, etc...

"Nowhere near good enough", he said...

Obviously needing help in accomplishing something the rest of you trained me so diligently against doing, I had no choice but to turn desparately to other friends who I knew could get this done

(you're going to hate me) ...>

Attachments

• cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 70
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...The next step was to get it on a trailer & take it to Jay's where TJ detailed half of it to everyone's amazement in preparation for the show. I loved nothing more than being in the background and watching him get incredible reaction & praise :)

The 390 ran beautifully while marshaling in & out of jay's shop. Her loped idle indoors caused a guy named Dave to comment, "I have a '67 Shelby with a 427 and a KR with a 428...None of mine sound as crisp & tight as yours does, Wow!"...

I have the likes of Rob, Ron, Steve, Neil, Scott & others here to thank for that :)

Attachments

• _DSC0317.jpg
    _DSC0317.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC0283.jpg
    _DSC0283.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
  • _DSC0292.jpg
    _DSC0292.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 46
  • _DSC0314.jpg
    _DSC0314.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSC0393.jpg
    _DSC0393.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

stangfan

Great story! I wondered why TJ was cleaning the car in some of the pictures. I'm guessing that is some kind of steam cleaner. At first I thought he was using a pressure washer until I saw him using it inside the car.

Very cool!! :cool:

robert campbell

..Very nice Rob, Thank you :)
To recap from our other thread in "off topic", this was 100% TJ's doing through an individual here in GV who nurtures his love of cars like many of you who have visited over the years. Although I knew this trip was being planned, I had no original intention of going. That is until I mentioned how some of you thought it would be cool to take a GT/CS.

TJ said, "but dad! I'd love to take your red 390! I was going to take Mom's car, but you need a vacation and I want you to come!"

'Problem is; there was a catch... He wanted it inside & out filthy! So after some talk we embarked on a conventional means of "dusting it up" by pressure washing the ground around it, doing some ripping burnouts in the driveway, etc...

"Nowhere near good enough", he said...

Obviously needing help in accomplishing something the rest of you trained me so diligently against doing, I had no choice but to turn desparately to other friends who I knew could get this done

(you're going to hate me) ...>

Tim,
I can't do acronym's!!!! Rolling around on the floor laughing my ass off!!! Tim, once again you set a new bar for laughter!!

Rob

68 special

What an incredible experience for both of you. Thank You for sharing.

Ya know, I thought it was all about the cars, but that's only part of it. It's the dedication of people like Tim and TJ and countless others that make this hobby so "special". Proud to be a part of a great family, even from afar.

Bret

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

What an incredible experience for both of you. Thank You for sharing.

Ya know, I thought it was all about the cars, but that's only part of it. It's the dedication of people like Tim and TJ and countless others that make this hobby so "special". Proud to be a part of a great family, even from afar.

Bret

Thanks Bret (and everyone:)
My main issue with Jay and his cars is that I wouldn't know where to begin! A seven-page post of my "ramblings" wouldn't come close in describing Mr. Leno's cutting-edge collection, shop, crew and the few guests we were able to witness. I also didn't want to upstage TJ in any way who was right at home in working with Jay :)

Our GT/CS however, spoke for itself in appearance and sound. She gleamed with as much pride as the perfect accessory for for the program while keeping the door locked open for me to beam about her heritage and the people who love them. As I mentioned earlier...the two Shelby guys present were very intrigued.

I'm a "people" person more than I am about cars...That's just my thing... but I like to think (as an end user) I give balance to so many of you who are more wonderfully dedicated to their preservation & perfection.

I believe we accomplished that as part of this visit :)

Attachments

• _DSC0359.jpg
    _DSC0359.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC0376.jpg
    _DSC0376.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC0418.jpg
    _DSC0418.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Now back to work on my HCS (after receiving an email from Arlie telling me to to get off my a$$ & do something with it!)

Just kidding... ;-)

Attachments

• _DSC0458.jpg
    _DSC0458.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

robert campbell

Brett,
You have hit who Tim is and who Tim has always been. No one any more “special” than the rest of our family. You have hit it on the head! Bret, you have been a humble lover of our cars and their heritage also. I have seen it in your posts and so many others on our site. We are so lucky that Jon provided us a site to have this much fun! Long live California (and HCS) dot com!! How much fun!! Again!

Rob

Powell

Again WOW,WOW,WOW. That is a great video and so well done on T.J.'s part it makes all of us so proud to know him. Kinda hate to butt in, however we feel like he is our boy also.

Thanks for posting that for us Tim. I plan to take the video to our car club and see if there is any interest to buy one of these from T.J. I believe there are lots of clubs out there that would love to have this technology as part of their shared tools.

Again thanks for posting and great job T.J.

Ralph and Karen Powell

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

... ... makes all of us so proud to know him. Kinda hate to butt in, however we feel like he is our boy also.

Ralph and Karen Powell

...Karen & Ralph, That's precisely what I meant when I said "our boy". He's as much a product of your generosity and influence as anything I have done with him. I doubt something as this would've materialized without the enthusiastic knowledge and gatherings we've enjoyed here over the past eight years. (wow, how time flies...!)

Attachments

• 1696.jpg
    1696.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

PonyGal

What a wonderful video!! I am so proud of the job he did!!! TJ is an awesome young man and I feel lucky to be a part of his life :grin: