• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Leaf Spring engineering numbers

Ruppstang

Does anyone have a 68 J code GT that has the original leaf springs?
I am looking for the correct engineering numbers and color bands.
I believe the number may be C7 ZA 5556 AU and the color bands on the short spring are orange and pink. Thank for your help. Marty

Mosesatm

Marty,
That is the number stamped on the springs on my J-code GT

Attachments

• GT Leaf.jpg
    GT Leaf.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Arlie the AT is one of the ones listed in the Ford Master Parts list for a 68 coupe with a J code. Did you find any color bands and is the car a GT?
I am working on dads HCS GT J code. It had a AM on the left and a AU on the right. The car was rolled by the LH rear wheel hitting a curb or something solid, it drove the LH rear torque box in 1/2 inch. I am reasonably sure that the LH spring was replaced as a AM is listed for a 68 Shelby or Mustang with competition handling. I am trying to confirm that the AU is the original RH spring.

Yes Rob it is a sickness, it just has to be as original as I can make it. I have to laugh when it see companies selling springs as one size fits all. And they wonder why their ride height is off. Ford had dozens of spring applications that varied by model, engine and equipment.
And some wonder why their ride height is off.

Mosesatm

It's a J-code GT/CS with the GT option and a 4-speed.
I don't have a photo of the bands, and I don't have the car here.
You can have these springs if you have some to trade, and figure out how to ship them.

robert campbell

To my knowledge the "GT Option" rear leafs were a bit stiffer and lowered the car about 1 inch from a non-GT car. Especially in the 65 to 67 era. The front springs would have a couple bands of paint (orange?) so the line worker could identify them easily I think.

I am a stickler about ride height and tire rubbing. I like my cars lower than stock, but will not use lowering blocks. We have a local spring shop (Benz Springs) that will build whatever you want and has a ton of experience in springs.

My brothers 1967 Mu8stang has the rare "competition suspension" option that is a step above the GT option in suspension. It was a bit of a race option and was expensive at the time at $350.00. I will see if those springs have numbers just because I love Marty!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Arlie we will see, I would hate to put you to all of that work.
Rob if the springs are original I bet they are AM or AR. As I said above there are many different spring combinations especially on the front coils where model, engine and options all played a part. I will post a page from the FMPC you can see all the different rear spring applications.
I think you guys are the best too.

Attachments

• 1968RearSprings01.jpg
    1968RearSprings01.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 41

robert campbell

In case the rest of you don't know..... Marty knows his stuff!!! I will look over these very rare leaf springs!!

Rob

teamlo

Here is a photo of my original '68 J code automatic leaf spring paint stripes. You can faintly make out the engineering #. My car is in storage right now or I'd go take a better photo.

Terry

Attachments

• 68 J code auto leaf spring.jpg
    68 J code auto leaf spring.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 31

teamlo

The other side. Hope that helps Marty!

Terry

Attachments

• 68 J code automatic leaf spring 2.jpg
    68 J code automatic leaf spring 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Terry that looks like a AU like ours and lines up with the information that I have been told they they had orange and pink stripes. Is your car a GT with a nine inch rear axel?
Marty

teamlo

Thanks Terry that looks like a AU like ours and lines up with the information that I have been told they they had orange and pink stripes. Is your car a GT with a nine inch rear axel?
Marty

Yes, mine is a factory GT, 9" rear with 3.25 gears (open).

Terry

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

That is a exact match to our HCS :smile: I must be blind I did not see it at the bottom of your post. What is the build date of your car? Now to find another AU spring.
Another thing I have found that was unusual on our car is the center structure of the shock tower is welded, something only normally seen on big blocks. The first small block I found with this was our 68 GT350. And now this J code GT HCS. When you have a chance please check your car and see if yours are welded.
Thanks this information makes my day.
Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS Jcode GT shock towers 001.jpg
    68 HCS Jcode GT shock towers 001.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 68 HCS Jcode GT shock towers 002.jpg
    68 HCS Jcode GT shock towers 002.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 28

teamlo

That is a exact match to our HCS :smile: I must be blind I did not see it at the bottom of your post. What is the build date of your car? Now to find another AU spring.
Another thing I have found that was unusual on our car is the center structure of the shock tower is welded, something only normally seen on big blocks. The first small block I found with this was our 68 GT350. And now this J code GT HCS. When you have a chance please check your car and see if yours are welded.
Thanks this information makes my day.
Marty

Marty, my car is not a GT/CS nor a HCS. But it is a San Jose built J code GT. Build date is Dec 17, 1967 (I think). I follow this board mostly because I like the GT/CS and HCS, as well as owning a '68 San Jose GT coupe, so there is bound to be a lot of similarities. I will have a look at my shock towers when I can. The car is in storage a few towns over until spring. I have some other photos of the undercarriage, front coil springs, driveshaft and rear end if you're interested. The car is super clean underneath, having spent all it's life in northern CA until 2004. Since then, it's been garaged and kept clean.

Terry

robert campbell

Marty,
I worked on a J code 1968 Fastback with the GT option, a 9 inch rear end, and a 4 speed about 20 years ago. It also had the welded shock towers. I was familiar because Val's car was a big block GTA car and had the towers welded also.

This upgrade may have followed the GT option in 68? And it may have been plant specific? And may not always had been done? Boy that looks real helpful.... I wonder how many J code GT option equipped GT/CS and HCS cars are in our registry. I think Arlie's car he is selling is one of them?

I had not thought of this anomaly for a long time! The car I mention may still be in my area. It changed hands between 3 of my friends back in the day.

Rob

Mosesatm

My J-code GT GT/CS with 3.25 posi gears also has welded shock towers but I assumed a former owner did that work, especially since one of the four welds is simply awful.
Sadly, the 9" posi is no longer in the car.

Attachments

• DSCN6352.jpg
    DSCN6352.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6364.jpg
    DSCN6364.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Marti Report 2 (778x1000).jpg
    Marti Report 2 (778x1000).jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

robert campbell

The welds on Val's car are no work of art either. The difference in the thickness of the metals makes it a tougher than normal job. I also bet that it was done by hand on the line by humans and new hires were not as good as seasoned line workers.

Arlie, I bet those are factory welds! This brings another factor to evidence of a real GT car in 1968. Not sure if it was plant specific and as we know all GT/CS and HCS cars were supposed to be San Jose plant assembled.

Not sure what a J code GT in 1968 from another plant may have had? The 1968 Shelby GT 500 KR I owned also had the welded shock towers. A big block of course but what about the 1968 Shelby GT 350's?

Yes!!!!! This is the time!!!!! FOR!!!!!! SUPER MARTY or CORALSNAKE!!!!

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Yes Rob we most defiantly have a pattern. Our 68 GT 350 has a J code and welded shock towers and it was built in the Metuchen plant. See how easy it is to catch that concours bug! No worries Rob you will get over it when you hear the HP calling.

robert campbell

I do like definitive evidence on the GT option for the Mustang line. It is often copied and faked to unsuspecting buyers. Welded shock towers would be a nice clue. Not that they could not be duplicated. Just another arrow in the quiver.

Rob

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I might add it appears to be only a GT thing as a non GT J code does not have a nine inch rear axel or the welded shock towers.
Marty