• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Judder in power steering

DAR1

Do you guys have any idea what would cause the front wheels to judder when turning? It seems worst when the car is not moving or barely moving. When I turn he wheel and the power steering begins to work the front wheels do kind a juddering dance. I have had a mechanic take a look at it but since all of the parts are pretty new, he is not sure what it could be. He replaced the idler arm with no effect. Any ideas would be very welcome...

robert campbell

Dar1,
Did you recently replace your power steering hoses? Or have any work done on the system?

Rob

BigJim

Correct fluid? Fluid level correct? PS pump belt slipping?

franklinair

My only experience with what is described was caused by the PS pump and/or air in the pressure hose.
When purging the PS system, I jacked the front wheels off the ground. Ran engine, and cycled the steering wheel from one extreme to the other. This eventually cycled the air out of the system, and the jitter was cured.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Could also be poor seals in the control valve allowing leakage... new may not mean working correctly, have seen many new PS pumps fail to work as many are really remans.

OP
OP
D

DAR1

Sorry for the long time between responses - I was away just after I asked my question...
The steering system worked fine when the car arrived in Sweden. Unfortunately, the authorities in Sweden thought the car had too much horsepower and did allow it to be registered for road use. The car sat for a year while I found someone to help me navigatate the registration process. During that year the judder developed. i will try to ensure there is no air in the lines as that sounds very likley after a year.....