• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Inspecting eBay cars

HappyHour

Was going to hopefully look at a GT\CS locally that is on eBay auction. Is it reasonable to request that the car be checked out on a lift to look for any collision or rust issues? Anyone have an Independent Auto Appraiser they have used in cali?

Any advice appreciated.

RobKat

nfrntau

If the aucton is "on the line" the seller should welcome you to come and inspect the car. Asking to put it on the lift should not be an issue unless the seller is hiding sonmething or time constraints in shedules prohibit it. Barring anything else, bring a set of ramps with you.

Doug

Any seller that wants to sell a car should be more than willing to allow you or an associate inspect the car. I know from recent experience that sellers who are not hiding anything will allow it to be inspected by anyone. I would like to add that in my opinion any costs for inspections should be the byres responsibility. If not the seller could go broke doing inspections. Also I’d personally want a 3rd party to inspect for me because the emotion involved in buying a car like a CA SP. I’d also recommend that the photos be placed on this site; with all the knowledgeable people here looking at the car great questions will arise. I know from experience – more questions that are asked and answered the better. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Midnight Special

If the aucton is "on the line" the seller should welcome you to come and inspect the car. Asking to put it on the lift should not be an issue unless the seller is hiding sonmething or time constraints in shedules prohibit it. Barring anything else, bring a set of ramps with you.

Absolutely reasonable! That's too large an investment to be denied full disclosure and inspection...

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Thanks Doug the emotional aspect definitely resonates (cant stop looking at those tailights). I do plan on getting the inspection (and of course paying for it) but was just considering what is standard for an auctions. Also eBay provides some service as below for those not as meticulous. :smile:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/services/inspection/inspection.html

Reminds me of when I bought a 67 convertible got it on the rack and saw visable sealant job on the floorpans. It promptly went back to buyer. :eek:

Also want to add the short time I have been "lurking" on website I have gotten much valuable info. Will post pictures once I checkout car. Thanks!