• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Immigrants

hotrodgrany

I got this email and wanted to pass it along to see what you think!
I am sorry but after hearing thay want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish--enough is enough. Nowhere did they sing it in Italian,Polish,Irish(Celtic),German or any other language because of immigration. It was writte by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation--not even close. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY-IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEEK UP. I am not against immigration--just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor;have a place to lay your head;have a job;pay taxes,live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past--and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!The politiclly correctness:icon_evil police(i.e. Holly wierd and the media try to brainwash you into thinking we should tolerate other peoples disrespect to our nation, otherwiser you are being racially prejudiced. That is BS of course.
It is time for America to Speak up.

Attachments

• 02-01-2007 07;21;13PM.JPG
    02-01-2007 07;21;13PM.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 52

joedls

hotrodgrany said:
I got this email and wanted to pass it along to see what you think!

I think this pic is disgusting.

hotrodgrany said:
I am sorry but after hearing thay want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish--enough is enough.

Who is "thay" that you are referring to?

hotrodgrany said:
INowhere did they sing it in Italian,Polish,Irish(Celtic),German or any other language because of immigration. It was writte by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written.

Why does it matter to you or anyone else what language someone wants to sing our National Anthem in. Is someone telling you that you can't sing it in English?

hotrodgrany said:
I am not against immigration--just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor;have a place to lay your head;have a job;pay taxes,live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past--and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

My experience with the many immigrants that I've met is that the vast majority of them would like nothing more than to do just what you suggest. For many different reasons, they have had to forego the legal route and come here any way they can in order to make a better life for themselves. They are, for the most part, hard-working people. The vast majority of the immigrants I have met do pay taxes, but most of my experience is with immigrants in the construction industry.

As far as learning the language, like everyone else, I don't believe the immigrants of today are any different than immigrants of the past. Many first generation immigrants struggle with the language.

hotrodgrany said:
The politiclly correctness:icon_evil police(i.e. Holly wierd and the media try to brainwash you into thinking we should tolerate other peoples disrespect to our nation, otherwiser you are being racially prejudiced. That is BS of course.

What disrespect to our nation are you referring to? I'm with you that we shouldn't tolerate disrespect to our nation, but I also think we should be intolerant of propaganda that spreads fear and hatred.

Perkchiro

Theodore Roosevelt 's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be NO divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but ONE flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

joedls

Mustanglvr said:
We are all descendents of immigrants.

I agree. I also think we need to do something about our immigration problem. I just don't believe we should vilify the people that are just trying to make a better life for themselves.

Mustanglvr

Note: The only part of Hotrodgrany`s post that were her own words were:
"I got this email and wanted to pass it along to see what you think!"
It is an actual email that she forwarded to me. Please no verbal attacks on the poster please.

OP
OP
hotrodgrany

hotrodgrany

Mustanglvr said:
It is an actual email that she forwarded to me. Please no verbal attacks on the poster please.
Thank you

joedls

Mustanglvr said:

First, I don't believe I was attacking the poster. I was expressing my opinion of the post. I believe the poster asked for our opinions.

Second, I can't launch a "verbal attack" in a written forum.

19HCS68

Perkchiro said:
Theodore Roosevelt 's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be NO divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but ONE flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

This says it all. Assimilate or go home. I don't care if this is politicly correct or not. It's my opinion and I'm enjoying my freedom to speak it. In english.

joedls

19HCS68 said:
This says it all. Assimilate or go home. I don't care if this is politicly correct or not. It's my opinion and I'm enjoying my freedom to speak it. In english.

I don't disagree that immigrants should assimilate. It is my belief and experience that they do. But do you mean that every immigrant should speak English the day they land in our country or go home? I think this is a very unrealistic expectation. Or do you mean that the only people that should be allowed to immigrate should be from English-speaking countries?

Mustanglvr

joedls said:
First, I don't believe I was attacking the poster. I was expressing my opinion of the post. I believe the poster asked for our opinions.

Second, I can't launch a "verbal attack" in a written forum.

I did`nt mean you Joe, just for future reference.

Ok, duh, a "written attack".

RedGTvert

Sorry, but I couldn't dissagree with joedls more. When my grandparents came over from Europe, they learned the English language quickly. They spoke to my parents in English, they became for lack of a better word Americanized.

Living in South Florida, obviously we have many spanish speaking immigrants. I can walk into many places where people have been here for years and do not speak english whatsoever. Two of my employees, who are here legally, and have been here for 7 and 6 years respectivly do not understand or speak a word of english. I go places all the time, where the parents cannot speak english and thier kids are spoken to in spanish and spanish only.

We are not parts of Canada, where it is bilingual, but we are quicly becoming that, so I do not see where you see all this assimilation happening. Call any major company and the first thing that is asked, to hear this menu in Spanish, press ###.

I do not behoove anyone for wanting to come here and be part of the american dream, that is the principals our country was founded on, but come here legally.

Sorry if I am not PC enough for you, but those are my feelings on the subject.

joedls

RedGTvert said:
Sorry, but I couldn't dissagree with joedls more. When my grandparents came over from Europe, they learned the English language quickly. They spoke to my parents in English, they became for lack of a better word Americanized.

Living in South Florida, obviously we have many spanish speaking immigrants. I can walk into many places where people have been here for years and do not speak english whatsoever. Two of my employees, who are here legally, and have been here for 7 and 6 years respectivly do not understand or speak a word of english. I go places all the time, where the parents cannot speak english and thier kids are spoken to in spanish and spanish only.

We are not parts of Canada, where it is bilingual, but we are quicly becoming that, so I do not see where you see all this assimilation happening. Call any major company and the first thing that is asked, to hear this menu in Spanish, press ###.

I do not behoove anyone for wanting to come here and be part of the american dream, that is the principals our country was founded on, but come here legally.

Sorry if I am not PC enough for you, but those are my feelings on the subject.

I agree that immigrants should learn to speak English. And my hat's off to your grandparents, but I don't believe they necessarily represent the majority of first generation immigrants. That's why immigrants usually end up in the same communities, so they can survive until they assimilate.

I don't believe we should be a bilingual country either. Although, I wish I knew how to speak Spanish more fluently myself.

This issue has nothing to do with being "PC" for me. It's about understanding and having compassion for someone else's plight. Again, I believe we need to fix our immigration problems. I just don't believe that pointing the finger at people who are only trying to make a better life for themselves is the answer. Let's look for real solutions.

As far as coming here legally, if the only choices I believed I had were living in abject poverty or coming here illegally, I'd come here illegally. I don't believe it's right, but I understand it. Our founding fathers didn't mind breaking the law in order to make a better life for themselves. If they had done everything legally, we'd still be a colony of the British Empire.

joedls

RedGTvert said:

I just spoke to someone I work with who immigrated here from Europe with his parents when he was a child. I asked him the following question, "Do your parents speak English very well? " His answer was that they speak enough to survive, but not very well.

He grew up in a mostly Italian neighborhood in Chicago. He speaks English very well, by the way. I then asked him if he knew many first generation immigrants from that neighborhood. He claimed to know many. I then asked him if, in his experience, first generation immigrants in that neighborhood spoke English very well. His answer was that some did, but most did not. They were too busy trying to earn a living to go to school. They learned what they could from each other. Yet, mostly, they spoke Italian to each other.

Should these people go back to Europe?

joedls

RedGTvert said:

The difference is that in Canada it is required by law. Here businesses have chosen to do this because it benefits their business. Are you now saying we should prohibit businesses from doing this?

19HCS68

How much compassion should someone have for people STEALING identities, SS numbers and the such? How much compassion should we allow people who over tax the welfare, health care and education systems and all the while undermine wages. Then put NOTHING back in. How much compassion should we afford CRIMINALS? :rolleyes:

joedls

19HCS68 said:
How much compassion should someone have for people STEALING identities, SS numbers and the such? How much compassion should we allow people who over tax the welfare, health care and education systems and all the while undermine wages. Then put NOTHING back in. How much compassion should we afford CRIMINALS? :rolleyes:

What kind of numbers do you have that supports your assertion that immigrants are over taxing these systems? I know, for a fact, that your assertion that they put NOTHING back in the system is mistaken. Why would they be stealing SS numbers, if not so they could get a job and have deductions made and applied to those SS numbers?

I don't know about you, but I intend to show compassion to anyone that deserves it, no matter if they are criminals. It really depends on the person, the situation, on many other factors. I'm not ready to make blanket judgements of anyone.

Mustanglvr

Think of how beautiful North America was before the white man, the black man, etc. came here. It never should have been taken over in the first place. The AMERICAN Indians were here first right?

Perkchiro

OK, I'll chime in here a the risk of being blasted. I think that anyone who enters our country should do so legally, according to established immigration laws. I have an employee who is Chinese and a legal resident alien for the past 5 years. During this time, she has applied for, and is currently pursuing citizenship. She is taking English classes and is assimilating into our culture nicely. She is following the rules and desires American citizenship. I applaud her efforts and am supporting her as her employer in that regard. At the same time, I know she values and has pride her heritage and homeland of China, and I honor that too. I too, honor my past relatives and millions of others who migrated from Europe and other parts of the world to make a better life for themselves. My relatives steamship-ed from England and registered here upon arrival. There's a record of that and it's an important point.

To those who enter our country illegally, I have the utmost respect for your plight for a better life, and I have compassion for you. However, I don't know your intent or if your past history includes criminal behavior. I don't know if you want to earn a honest living or take advantage of our health care, unemployment benefits, food stamps or have a baby here for free. If you come here illegally, you should be sent home at the very least, or jailed if you are a known criminal.

The current administration has a blind eye to the current illegal immigration problem. It's a potential security problem and the southern border may be a door that some crazed terrorist enters.

Lastly, I think that's it's important to remember where we came from, but when you get to where you're going, assimilate and learn the language. Don't expect me to learn yours. I know it will take time, but do it anyway. A single language keeps us communicating and makes for a stronger country and that language in America is English. So when I call for Tech support, or phone billing questions, or cable service support, the last thing I want to do is select #1 for English and #2 for Spanish. Even with that said, I usually get someone who really can't speak English very well. In fact, they're usually from India, but that's a different story altogether.

I would love to learn Spanish and someday I probably will, but I certainly don't want that forced upon me because a rising minority requires it of me.

Yep, America is a melting pot and all are welcome, IF you come here legally. Just my 2 cents:smile:

God Bless America!!!