• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How Rare is your 68 CS/HCS ?

hicountrybob

Mustanglvr said:
Scott, If I remember right, you found your 428 HCS in South Dakota right? I thought I heard there was one in my neck of the woods here in Minnesota too.
Rhonda, re. 428 HCS'S. One in St Paul, one in Torrington, Wyo.,one in Calif. (Scott Fuller), one in Craig,Co., one in Littleton, Co., and mine in Arvada, Co. That's 6 cars and missing the other 3. HC Bob here.

somethingspecial

Tilt Away Wheel.

According to all my shop manuals, literature, etc. the steering wheel can be adjusted up and down in a total of nine positions. When the ignition is turned off, or the driver door is opened, this triggers a solenoid, which moves the steering wheel up and away from the driver toward the right. If your wheel only goes up and down, the solenoid probably is not working correctly to swing the wheel up and to the right. On cars with Tilt Away Wheels, there should be a second door jamb button intalled in the left door jamb. This triggers the solenoid when the door is opened. Hope this helps. Mike
ps. Midnight Special remembers the wheel only going up and down because someone stripped all the hardware from the column long before he owned it. It has everything now. Not tested yet. Hope it works now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

admin said:
I don't suppose you mentioned to him that your "old CS" was likely more rare then the Shelbys he had? :grin:

As for the rarity of my car, I don't think it's any more rare then other HCS's. My Marti report doesn't even say it's 1 of 251 High Country Specials, even though it is. :undecided
No I didn't say anything to him, but I 'm sure he could tell by the smile on my face that I knew my CS was not just an old Mustang to me. John

Midnight Special

somethingspecial said:
According to all my shop manuals, literature, etc. the steering wheel can be adjusted up and down in a total of nine positions. When the ignition is turned off, or the driver door is opened, this triggers a solenoid, which moves the steering wheel up and away from the driver toward the right. If your wheel only goes up and down, the solenoid probably is not working correctly to swing the wheel up and to the right. On cars with Tilt Away Wheels, there should be a second door jamb button intalled in the left door jamb. This triggers the solenoid when the door is opened. Hope this helps. Mike
ps. Midnight Special remembers the wheel only going up and down because someone stripped all the hardware from the column long before he owned it. It has everything now. Not tested yet. Hope it works now.

Thanks Mike. This is all news to me. 'Funny, but back then at 17 - it was quite a while before I knew it even had tilt steering. "What's with the redundant turn signals?" SNAP! "ohh..."

I can't tell you how much in awe I am of it today, however. 'Still looking for old pictures here to add to your "then & now" portfolio. It is SO not the same car!

'Can't wait for everyone to see it :)

Mustanglvr

somethingspecial said:

Here`s a pic of mine.

Attachments

• ssssssss010.jpg
    ssssssss010.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 26

CJ 56

Hi all

My CS is a preproduction car 1 of 8 ( Marti Autoworks report) ordered as BASIC OFF - STANDARD EQUIPMENT, which means orderd for promotional.
Serialised 02/01/68
Built 02/13/68
Air Con
Power Steer
Power Breaks
Both Consols
Rear Demister
Tachometer Dash
AM Radio - still works
Tinted Glass
Delux belts
289 C code