• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How Rare is your 68 CS/HCS ?

John McGilvary

My 68 California Special is; The first 428 CJ produced at the San Jose plant, one of 12 428cj's CS/HCS, one of 7 with C6 auto, one of 4 with 3.91 rear end gears, and the only one equipt this way and painted Brittany Blue. I am sure yours are much the same. Our Mustangs are much rarer than most Shelbys, and we should be proud. We need to claim the respect we are due. John

classicsguy

Wow John!!! I think not many will beat your Special!!! As you said: these cars are rare and all of them are specials.

hicountrybob

John McGilvary said:
My 68 California Special is; The first 428 CJ produced at the San Jose plant, one of 12 428cj's CS/HCS, one of 7 with C6 auto, one of 4 with 3.91 rear end gears, and the only one equipt this way and painted Brittany Blue. I am sure yours are much the same. Our Mustangs are much rarer than most Shelbys, and we should be proud. We need to claim the respect we are due. John
John, Kevin Marti tells me that one of our '68 HCS's (Highland Green/Std Gold Nugget interior) is the only X code (engine) HCS built (I'm just so tickled to have found and bought this car). Another one of our HCS's (Candy Apple Red/Red Std. interior) is a "R" code (428 engine) car which Kevin Marti says is 1 of 9 HCS built with this engine. I believe we've, (maybe CASEY? on this site), found that another 3 (428) cars were California Specials, yours, plus 2 already in Paul's '96 book. We have a previous thread here on this site addressing these 428 cars but I couldn't come up with it tonight. Thanks for stepping forward (what's your vin anyway?) How neat that we have located all 3 Cal Specs and I have 6 of the 9 HCS in the registry. HC Bob here.

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

hicountrybob said:
John, Kevin Marti tells me that one of our '68 HCS's (Highland Green/Std Gold Nugget interior) is the only X code (engine) HCS built (I'm just so tickled to have found and bought this car). Another one of our HCS's (Candy Apple Red/Red Std. interior) is a "R" code (428 engine) car which Kevin Marti says is 1 of 9 HCS built with this engine. I believe we've, (maybe CASEY? on this site), found that another 3 (428) cars were California Specials, yours, plus 2 already in Paul's '96 book. We have a previous thread here on this site addressing these 428 cars but I couldn't come up with it tonight. Thanks for stepping forward (what's your vin anyway?) How neat that we have located all 3 Cal Specs and I have 6 of the 9 HCS in the registry. HC Bob here.
MY vin is {8R01R158074}. I think that many of our friends on this site don't realize how special thier cars are. I bought mine new when I was 18 and have owned it ever since. Today a guy stopped by and asked if I wanted to sell my old Mustang. Told me they were not very rare, and just wanted it to go with his collection of Shelbys. Told him NO thanks, I'll keep my old CS. My CS is in the new registry as is my Marti Report. John

Last edited:

C160223

My car is the only CS painted Acapulco Blue with Dark Red interior, and 1 of 10 '68 mustangs of all body styles (7 coupes & 3 convertibles) painted this way. Is it rare? Sure. Does it make more valuable? nope! Just wish it had a 428!

390cs68rcode

hicountrybob said:
I believe we've, (maybe CASEY? on this site), found that another 3 (428) cars were California Specials, yours, plus 2 already in Paul's '96 book.

It was me who figured out the 428 CS engine/transmission info from Elite Marti reports. 2 of the 3 428 CS's owners are on the site (John and Scott).

here is Scott with his 428 CS
vbpicgallery.php

PFSlim

According to Marti, my car is 1 of 2 with the options that are on my car. Manual Steer, console, styled steel wheels, blue bucket seats, Acapulco Blue, automatic, 289 2V. Both cars were ordered by the same dealership here in Kansas City and considered identical twins.

Paul

case12

Jason has it right. There are 12 428CJs: 3 GT/CS and 9 HCS.

Also, a bit of trivia - Kevin Marti told me the first 428CJ in the 428CJ registry is not the first 428CJ produced.

As for my GT/CS - she isn't rare (except for being only one of 3867), but she still gets a crowd around her at Shelby shows.

Casey

Mustanglvr

My car is a T-code, 1 of 148 GT/CS`s produced with a 6 cylinder engine. Sadly it does`nt have the original engine anymore, not many do. Anyone that has a numbers matching T-code has a rare car.
Mine is also 1 of 2 twins because of the options, ordered by the same dealer.

GTCSMustang

My 428 HCS may be the only 428 car with original paint (thanks again Bob Teets for finding it for me). I aslo have the original build sheet for the car (found under the front seat). Any other 428 guys have their build sheet?

Scott

joedls

I don't think mine was any more rare than any other GT/CS from the factory, but I bet it's the only one with a Holley 174 blower on it.

Mustanglvr

Is the tilt away steering wheel the same as a tilt wheel? Mine has a deluxe tilt wheel. It moves up and down.

Mosesatm

Rhonda, I've wondered about that too.

Here is what the sales brochure says.

Tilt-Away Steering Wheel (8) Makes getting in and out of the car easier and so convenient. When you're ready to get out, just open the door and the steering wheel moves up and over, out of the way. Stays there until you get back in, ready to go again. After you're seated and pull the wheel back to driving position, you can tilt the wheel up or down to nine different positions. Available with all V-8 engines and transmission combinations.

It doesn't mention anything about a tilt-only option so, to repeat your question, does that mean that all tilt wheels are also tilt-away since they all have to door switch?

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:
Rhonda, I've wondered about that too.

Here is what the sales brochure says.

Tilt-Away Steering Wheel (8) Makes getting in and out of the car easier and so convenient. When you're ready to get out, just open the door and the steering wheel moves up and over, out of the way. Stays there until you get back in, ready to go again. After you're seated and pull the wheel back to driving position, you can tilt the wheel up or down to nine different positions. Available with all V-8 engines and transmission combinations.

It doesn't mention anything about a tilt-only option so, to repeat your question, does that mean that all tilt wheels are also tilt-away since they all have to door switch?

Maybe "somethingspecial" can shed some light on this because if my memory serves; his is a factory "tilt only" wheel that doesn't swing out of the way.

390cs68rcode

previous owner of my 390 CS put a tilt only (up and down only) column in it, pretty sure it is a Mustang column.

My gold 68 coupe came with Tilt Away and it tilted up and down AND when you opened the door it tilted up AND to the right. You have to pull it down and left to be able to start the car.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
John McGilvary said:
Today a guy stopped by and asked if I wanted to sell my old Mustang. Told me they were not very rare, and just wanted it to go with his collection of Shelbys.
I don't suppose you mentioned to him that your "old CS" was likely more rare then the Shelbys he had? :grin:

As for the rarity of my car, I don't think it's any more rare then other HCS's. My Marti report doesn't even say it's 1 of 251 High Country Specials, even though it is. :undecided

Mustanglvr

GTCSMustang said:
My 428 HCS may be the only 428 car with original paint (thanks again Bob Teets for finding it for me). I aslo have the original build sheet for the car (found under the front seat). Any other 428 guys have their build sheet?

Scott

Scott, If I remember right, you found your 428 HCS in South Dakota right? I thought I heard there was one in my neck of the woods here in Minnesota too.

GTCSMustang

Yep, mine came from South Dakota. I'd take another though...you know where it is?