• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How many J-codes 4 speed GT/CS were made?

classicsguy

I believe that there were a little over 1000 J code California Specials made,but how many of those were 4 speed? Anyone knows?

J.Bart

according to my marti report
962 302 4v gt/cs cars
218 of those were 4spds

J.Bart

my marti report says 3:00 trak-lok.
and i don't think you got the 9 in. unless you had a bigblock 390 or 428

6t8-390gt

my marti report says 3:00 trak-lok.
and i don't think you got the 9 in. unless you had a bigblock 390 or 428

I have owned numerous J-code GT's and all of them had the 9 inch, but I have also observed that non-GT J-codes had the 8 inch. Currently I am convinced that all the 1968 GT's were equipped with 9 inch regardless of engine.

Danny

murf104

The question of 9 inch as opposed to 8 inch rear ends in "J" code cars has always made me crazy, and I strongly suspect that the GT option for some reason includes the 9 inch rear, although most look at me as an idiot when this is mentioned. I included this as one of the things that Paul N. might consider covering in his latest book when he recently asked on this forum for suggestions. This probably should be a stand alone thread as many will pass over it, and it is important. Just as Danny said, I am convinced at this point that for whatever reason most or maybe all "J" code cars that were purchased with the optional "GT" package came with the nine inch. Has anyone ever seen a document or notation in any Ford parts book or just anywhere official that this odd suspicion is true? Maybe Paul has done some research by now and can chime in on this. Can anyone provide an exception to this suspicion?

robert campbell

This has been a long standing mystery. My gut says 9 inch in 1968 for GT cars. Seen it many times. Especially 4 speed and big-block cars. Not totally sure on 302 auto cars in 1968 with the GT option.

An always remmber that each year the GT option list was different. So don't compare 1967 to 1968.

One thing to remember is the 9 inch and the posi untis are also an individual checkmark on the option list. So a 289 non-gt car could get a 9 inch. Posi 8 inch in 1968 was very rare if not at all. So if you wanted a posi you more than likely got a 9 inch.

The mystery continues...

Rob

6t8-390gt

Shaun,
The only way to be sure is to order a Marti report or request a 999 report from Ford Customer Service. Both of these reports will list the options your car left the factory with. Marti is a private company and charges for his service, Ford does not charge. You will get more info from Marti and a quicker turn around.

Danny

Danny

J.Bart

This has been a long standing mystery. My gut says 9 inch in 1968 for GT cars. Seen it many times. Especially 4 speed and big-block cars. Not totally sure on 302 auto cars in 1968 with the GT option.

An always remmber that each year the GT option list was different. So don't compare 1967 to 1968.

One thing to remember is the 9 inch and the posi untis are also an individual checkmark on the option list. So a 289 non-gt car could get a 9 inch. Posi 8 inch in 1968 was very rare if not at all. So if you wanted a posi you more than likely got a 9 inch.

The mystery continues...

Rob

so you think mine having the factory "traction-lok", was a nine inch?