• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Turn Signal Rubber Grommet

Mosesatm

Hook was the car drivable before you rebuilt the carb or did you rebuild the carb because the car quit? The reason I ask is because a slipped timing chain can cause what you are describing.

Russ

Since we are talking about timing and carburetor problems, we probably should move this posting, but I had exactly the same problem with the Holly 4V on my GT. I found the problem AFTER (!) I changed the timing gears and chain, and it was the carburetor all the time. There happened to be a speck of debris/dirt/rust (who knows) caught between the needle and seat for the float, and the needle couldn't totally stop the flow of the gas from the fuel pump.

I really cleaned the needle and seat and it cured the problem. I will say that the original camshaft timing gears used on the 289/302's were plastic, and they do wear out and jump time, but before you tear into the front of the engine, just check out the needle and seat of your carb.

Hope this helps,
Russ

Mosesatm

That's a whole lot cheaper and easier than replacing the timing chain, unless it's original then it must be replaced anyway. Those plastic ooated chains were not one of Ford's better ideas.

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1498;start=15#msg9184 date=1112374188]
Hook was the car drivable before you rebuilt the carb or did you rebuild the carb because the car quit? The reason I ask is because a slipped timing chain can cause what you are describing.
[/quote]

The car ran great and I just had the bright ::) idea to put a kit in it as it had been a long time since I had put one in it. Well the problems began so I took it off and took it to a mechanic and he put a kit in it and still the same results. He told me something about the gasket did not seem right. He told me this before I put the carb back on and it still did the same thing. Not sure if the tag on the carb is wrong or what. I'm going to try and hunt down a local Ford guru if there is one in the valley and see if he as an answer.

I have several things I want to get started on but the car must be in good running condition before I can start as I'm not giving the car to anyone with it pumping fuel all over the intake. :eek: I wouldn't sleep at night.

Hook