• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Locks

gt/csj4

Hello all and Merry Christmas!
I picked up a nice set of original hood locks (FINALLY!) for the cal from a member here (btw Terry it was a pleasure meeting you today) Anyway these were believed to be off a Shelby and have a little bit of pitting (easy fix) My question is, I know they're not supposed to be "chrome" but more a shiny argent-y color, does any one know of a process/paint that can come somewhat close to this? They are also missing the larger washer that goes on the hood (Possibly anyone have a set lying around?) Thanks for the responses in advanced!

stangfan

Aren't the GT/CS hood locks made of stainless steel? That's what mine appear to be. I'm pretty sure they aren't painted.

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

ya they are, but i swear they have like an argent look to them.... I thought about sanding the pits out, than hitting it with my buffing wheel, but I fear it will make them waay too shiny...much like chrome

Ruppstang

There is no real good way to refinish them. It would cost less to buy the reproduction for around $100. I may have a old pair laying around. Marty

Mosesatm

I may have a couple washers that I can send if you decide not to purchase a new set of locks.

For the finish can you polish the locks then use some steel wool to dull them out?

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

I may have a couple washers that I can send if you decide not to purchase a new set of locks.

For the finish can you polish the locks then use some steel wool to dull them out?

I would like to at least try and restore them before throwing in the towel. If you have the washers that would be awesome. I have in mind what I'm going to do to duplicate the finish of them ( some tricks I've learned doing precision model cars over the years ;) if all else fails least i tried:wink:

Animal

Hood locks

Joe, likewise on meeting you the other day. I beleive the hood locks are made from a zinc diecast process. You should be able to sand and polish the locks to get them back to original condition. They did come off my Shelby and by the way I think I have the washers in one of my parts box's I will see if I can find them today and if I do I will mail them to you. I love digging thru those box's I find things I didn't know I had.
TT

Animal

Hood locks

Joe , I have searched every box I have and I cant find the washers. However my Brother has a couple box's in his shop and I will search them this weekend. I'm hoping I will find them. I'm still interested in the other parts for my car we talked about. Give me a call when you get a chance and we can talk about it. ( 303-434-2311 )
TT

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

For sure Terry. I spoke with my dad and he has the fan and clutch and i will go look at the console tonight. Its not too far from our houses so if its legit maybe you can meet up and look at it.