• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help Identify Parts...

Gregpet

Hi,

I'm doing a little clean-up under the hood and have found a couple of spots that I would like to get a little assistance with...

Can you all take a look at the attached pictures and help me determine what these items do and if I need them!

Identify1 is a picture of the distribution block on the left fender. The issue is that the wire has been disconnected from the block...Since the car runs fine I haven't wanted to just start reconnecting things. I also had the brake system 'tuned up' by a mechanic and I would have thought he would have connected it if it was needed...What does this wire connect to?

Identify2 are two what look to be rubber slings (?) that may have one time held something is place...Any ideas? One of them is broken so is just hanging straight down (tilt your head to the right). This is under where the windshield washer reservoir sits...

Identify3 is where the bumper curls around to the bottom of the fender. My assumption is that it should attach to the fender. Am I missing a bracket or maybe this is an ill fitting after market bumper?

Thanks as always for any assistance.

Greg

Attachments

• Identify1.jpg
    Identify1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Identify2.jpg
    Identify2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Identify3.jpg
    Identify3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 57

Mosesatm

#1 is for the interior brake light. It probably stayed on so someone unhooked the wire.

#2 I think holds the power steering hose

#3 - Yes, you are missing a little 90 degree metal bracket.

Ruppstang

#1 is the conector for the brake failer light it should hook to the distrubristion block.
# 2 Is the strap for the pressure power steering hose.
# 3 Yes there is a bumper to fender bracket missing

6t8-390gt

#1 is the conector for the brake failer light it should hook to the distrubristion block.
# 2 Is the strap for the pressure power steering hose.
# 3 Yes there is a bumper to fender bracket missing

+ 1

The P/S hose straps can be "reproduced" by getting a late model serpentine belt and cutting it to length. (Ask you local garage for an old belt that has been replaced) It won't be concours correct; but from a safety stand point it will keep the hose away from the exhaust manifold. The original clips are available from AMK or you can re-use your originals. They have a prong on each side so you may have to access the clip from inside the wheel well and push it through using some pliars.

Danny

robert campbell

I agree with all. The number one pic is for the brake warning light in the dash as stated. It is a simple "over center" switch that moves to either the front or rear brake portion of your system when it senses a loss of system pressure on one side. Basically it stays in the center if both the front and rear have equal pressure. If it sences low of no pressure on one side the normal pressure on the other side pushes it in that direction and connects a ground, lighting the light in the dash.

Bleeding brakes can cause it to over center but not normally. I have been told that by loosening the fitting opposite the side it has moved to, with the sensor out, a gentle push on the brake pedal will move it back to the middle as you watch. Then tighten it back up and you are good to go until the next time in senses no pressure on the front or back system....

Or like me you disconnect it...

Rob