• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

head/cam questions

wally05

So, what are the head specs (including flow) on stock 302 4v heads with emissions on them? Also, what are the stock cam specs?

I'm asking b/c I'm looking at getting a very good deal on sbf aluminum heads cast in Aussie land and built here. I wanted to compare flows. The springs cover .500 to .550 lift and all I need to furnish are 3/8 rocker arms (1.7 ratio maybe). I'm considering it. The heads are great and come ready to bolt on. I'm thinking I'll pull the stock stuff, clean it up and store it. This will get rid of the emissions stuff under the hood. :) I'll probably need to upgrade to headers also for max flow. I'll be installing the edelbrock intake at the same time.

I'm not really concerned about affecting originality as I'll have all the original parts stored away so I can recondition them and reinstall them if I choose to. It's all bolt-on stuff.

It will give me a chance to clean up everything under the hood also. Crap, is the distributor based on the emissions equipment also?...

joedls

I found this chart. It doesn't have the 302 heads, but I don't think they are much different from the 289 heads.

Attachments

• p41538_image_large.jpg
    p41538_image_large.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 35

@Holmes

W
IMO that properly ported stage 4 IRON (thats right IRON) heads are better. I have a stock 302 w/ thermactor and original distributor. Change over to the Edelbrock 2122 cam and doble roller and the comp cam roller rockers w/ rail and it will put a tire smoking smile on your face! Your 4300 autolite will still develope 20 pounds vac @ idel with this cam and its rated at idel to 5500. Although a stock 4300 will flat line at around 5100 you will have already pulled through the torque range. If you change the jets over to a 69-70 4300 you can get enough CFM to max out the cam and still look stock. Oh and it will stop light grand prix the heck out of those Alum heads. Stage 4 porting is gona run about the same price as those Alum heads - ready to bolt on too - Getting STOMPED by a smog injected stock looking moter - PRICELESS.

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Right now I'm running an edelbrock 500cfm 4v 1403 carb and I'll be installing the performer 289 intake when I have time. The more I look at it, the more I might wait on the heads and spend the money on the h4 halogen conversion from Reenmachine and front disc brakes. I'm going to see. How much does the porting cost?

Perkchiro

I put Powerheads on my engine with the rebuild. The nice thing about it is you really can't tell they are anything other than stock heads. They perform well. The only complaint is that they didn't return my $100 core charge. Oh well:mad:!!!!

Attachments

• 302 Engine Pic.jpg
    302 Engine Pic.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 29

@Holmes

Steve
You KNOW IT! I try to tell people to go stock - looking that is. Tell us just how sweet those heads flow. Did you port match the original exhaust or did you go with headders? Have you pissed people off - like the "Unnessary Accelleration" or "Public Display of Acceleration" Police
But.... officer its a stock motor - look - aint no blower- its not thummping with a wild cam....I ..... just pushed on the peddle alittle .. honest
You will respect my authority! (insert South Park avitar here)
ouch !!

Perkchiro

I went with cast iron hypo exhaust manifolds. I probably should have gone with headers, but I wanted a "period correct" look. The cam is from Comp Cams and is just a little hotter with a mild lope at idle. It has a split dual exhaust with 2 1/4 tubes, turbo mufflers and a reducer at the end to accommodate the stock exhaust tips. The sound it produces gets some attention at stop lights. I haven't "pissed people off" yet, and so far, the only response from local police has been to wave at me when I go by. I have a lot of fun driving it!!

robert campbell

I have a radically ported set of 69 351 Windsor iron castings. Iron heads can be ported to match any aluminum head with stock port locations. Power Heads is a well-respected company with a long list of satisfied customers.

As you can see they are no bargain other than the stock look. Which of course can be priceless!! A great choice for any high horsepower application. You might be able to run a bit more advance our work with a bit more compression with aluminum heads.

All and all a great advice for his application! Aluminum heads with higher than stock locations for exhaust ports or other dimensional modifications are the secret to huge horsepower normally reserved for strip applications only. Or the guy that wants huge HP for the street….

Rob

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

So, you guys think I should just keep the stock heads and have the machine work done on them? I'm leaning towards that.

robert campbell

So, you guys think I should just keep the stock heads and have the machine work done on them? I'm leaning towards that.

Only if you want that stock look. If it were my car, I would go for the lighter weight and better combustion chamber characteristics of the new aluminum heads.

But either way will be a huge benefit to the horse power of you car.

Rob

joedls

Only if you want that stock look. If it were my car, I would go for the lighter weight and better combustion chamber characteristics of the new aluminum heads.

But either way will be a huge benefit to the horse power of you car.

Rob

I don't care about the stock look so I would go with a good set of aluminum heads.