• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/SC inline six with a 4 speed?

gt/csj4

Hey all,
Quick question, maybe someone can verify. I came across a six cylinder cali the other day not listed (8R01T161847) that had a four speed in it. Now I know some, not many, six cylinder cars came with four speeds (standard form non CS, HCS), although very uncommon....but, how many were made for the GT/SC / HCS?

I looked at the car thoroughly and everything seemed legit, but, unfortunately the door tag was missing, but owner verified it was a real deal car (or at least per his words) but the car had all the right stuff..... Thoughts? :undecided

Last edited:

CougarCJ

According to Kevin Marti's book, Mustang ...by the Numbers, exactly zero T codes with 4 speeds. In any 1968 Mustang.

robert campbell

All,
A 4 speed top loader conversion is a piece of cake in a 1967 and newer Mustang. It is a total bolt in with no cutting or looking for parts. The 3 speed input uses a 1 & 1/16 by 10 "tooth" snout and the driveline and output shaft slip right in. Uses same tranny mount and is truly a bolt in affair. All you need is the tranny and linkage.

I built a 1967 coupe with some custom touches with a 250 CI Six and used a 4 speed. Most 3 speed 6 cars have a 3.25 rear end which works great. The 4 speed really makes the 6 seem alot sporty and it was great fun to drive. I recommend anyone who loves their 6 shooter GT/CS to do this conversion. It will make it way more fun to drive.

Rob

Midnight Special

Hey all,

I looked at the car thoroughly and everything seemed legit, but, unfortunately the door tag was missing, but owner verified it was a real deal car ..... Thoughts? :undecided

...Without Marti or registry, how did the owner "verify"?
My "thoughts" are that owners can say anything. We've also owned a couple of excellent (quality) clones. One acquired by an owner who was likewise convinced...

The "early car" and "promotional" discussions here seem to be the best and most interesting exceptions :)

Ruppstang

Some of the 65 6 cil cars had 4spds but from what I have hear thet were not very good.
Marty

robert campbell

Early Mustangs had "Dagenham" 4 speeds. They were very problematic. 1967 was the first year to my knowledge of a "top loader" 3 speed with a full syncro first gear. My guess is a 6 shooter never came with a top loader 4 speed, but I have learned to never say never!!

Anyway an easy conversion for those who want an easy upgrade.

Rob

GT/CS S Code

No Marti?

Sounds like he simply needs to order a Marti report on this car and that will clear up any confusion. It'll "tell it like it is" ... (was?) ...
:wink:

Ruppstang

No need for a Marti report in this case. As Scott said there is no way any 68's were built with 4spds. Marty

robert campbell

I have often wondered whether you could "order" any 68/69/70 Mustang with a 6 cylinder but add the 4 speed? The 4 speed was so nice behind the 250 I had in the 1967 coupe I built. The 3 speeds were kind noisy and the gear splits were awful for a V8 or a 6 shooter. In the hilly terrain I live in I found myself revving too much in 2nd or lugging in 3rd during in town driving.

Rob

CougarCJ

I have often wondered whether you could "order" any 68/69/70 Mustang with a 6 cylinder but add the 4 speed? The 4 speed was so nice behind the 250 I had in the 1967 coupe I built. The 3 speeds were kind noisy and the gear splits were awful for a V8 or a 6 shooter. In the hilly terrain I live in I found myself revving too much in 2nd or lugging in 3rd during in town driving.

Rob

They weren't offered that way. Engines and transmissions were put together as an assembly prior to installation on the assembly line.

For the same reasons, you could not get a FMX or C6 with a Boss ....engined anything.:icon_no:

Mosesatm

Joe,
According to Marti 8R01T161847 is not a valid VIN.

Could one of the numbers be something else?

67SCSGT

Joe,
According to Marti 8R01T161847 is not a valid VIN.

Could one of the numbers be something else?

I thought I ordered a lot of Marti reports! You must help pay his mortgage each month :) I've often joked and made comment when placing orders that there should be a "valued customer" discount based on the total reports ordered over the years. They must not like my humor!