• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS $$$$$$$$ ??

bindiman99

This is a question that I have asked myself many times when I look at other mustangs and how much people are asking for them and what they are actually getting for them. My first car was a reqular 68 that was candyapple red black interior AT 289 just your basic no frills mustang but I loved it and never looked back. I purchased the car for 500.00 and had to rebuild the whole drive train the car was still ugly and needed interior and alot of body work. But when I had to sell it I only got 1600.00 for it (dont do a no reserve auction if you want to see your money back). But that was when I first got married and had a little girl on the way and that little bit of money helped. Anyways I looked for ever trying to buy the same kind of car and nothing in my price range was neer me. Untill I got a look at the car I purchased on ebay. It was in the parts car area of there auctions but when I saw it there was something different about it. It looked to have factory hood pins fog lights and no horse on the grille but I thought that someone just took those off. When I talked to the owner he said he just got it himself and didnt know much about it but it was hit in the back and replaced with 67 decklid and so on. Anyways I scored the car for 950.00 and drove it 1100 miles home. After research and finding out is was a california special I started doing research on these cars and was astonish that such a low production car was selling so cheap. I had a friend that had a no frills 67 Mustang 289 3 spd that had new int. and a decent paint job that needed body and new paint work but when he sold his car he got 7500.00 for it and there were many made that year. When I see some of the people willing to part with thier GT/CS I have seen them sell for the same amount. So I was wondering is this because these cars arent all that well known or thought of or is because it was a car that looked kinda like the shelby but just some poser in the wind. Basicly putting a lamborgini kit on a fiero. Anyways I love my car and will own it and hopefully a few more for the rest of my blue oval days.

Calspecialdreamer

Bindiman,

Hard to say, I too thought Cal Specials went kinda cheap until I actively tried to buy one. Seems prices are way up now, but nobody seems to be able to sell one for what they want.
Most would agree that not much is known about them, and your purchase is extremely rare! Also, people may not want to buy a project car and are willing to pay top $$$ for a restored one. I have a very nice 68 coupe, and it looks better than any Cal special I have tried to buy, but seems most owners are selling on the cal special name itself. Not to mention the fake ones out there! Mr. Shelbydallas has me real worried now!
Anyway, in your case you got a great deal! But just look on Ebay and you can see the Cal Specials and HCS command a high dollar. Not to mention what dealers ask for them! In time, people will learn, but for now, lets keep it quiet until I can get mine! lol!