• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS in Manila

Maverick

Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, but i have been reading and using the resources found here in the restoration of my Dad's GT/CS for the past almost 3 years now. I'm happy to say that I am about 90% done and will hopefully be driving the same car that used to pick me up from grade school before the year ends!

I started this project early 2008 after a friend of mine started restoring a '71 Chevy Malibu. I always knew we had a Mustang, as I grew up with the car until my dad sent it to some shop to be "restored" in 1999. I never saw the car again after that. So i began my search for our old Mustang, and found it lying in some backyard, being used as a trash can, no windows, no glass, left out in the open for more than eight years! I almost gave up right there. I checked under the hood and saw the 289 V8 still intact, so i decided to go ahead and have it restored by more capable hands.

Upon further research, i found out the how rare these cars were, and that it is rumored that there were only THREE of them in the Philippines! This motivated me even more. So here i am, near completion, almost three years and many thousands of dollars in the making (i never expected to take this long or spend this much!).

I would love to know if there is a way to find out how may GT/CS's are registered as located in the Philippines!

I also am looking forward to learning more from the members here in this forum :)

I have hundreds of pictures of the restoration process and will be posting them soon as well :)

Thanks!

Ruppstang

Hi Maverick,
Welcome to the site although it sounds like you are no stranger to it. Do you have a Marti report on the car? Kevin Marti @martiautoworks.com would be your best source for information regarding how many were sold in the Philippines. I am a Mustang Club of America judge and would be happy to help answer your questions. There are many on this site that will do the same. I can't wait to see yor pictures and learn the facts on your car. Marty

OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

Thanks for the quick warm welcome!

I do have my Marti report but i cannot seem to post it on the Marti report thread since it says i need more posts to attach links :)

I was busy posting pictures of my restoration when my browser crashed (i think i was uploading too many at the same time!) so i will continue to do that now :)

Thanks again! (edit: think i figured out how to attach photos without using image URL's :))

Attachments

• Marti Report.jpg
    Marti Report.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

Here's one of the latest pictures of the car! I have more photos being uploaded now in my gallery. I've come a LONG way from the junk condition it was in 2008 to present :)

(note the WRONG gas cap, temporarily placed for aesthetic purposes as my original gas cap is still being re-chromed)

Attachments

• 102120101099.jpg
    102120101099.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 70

robert campbell

Welcome! What a great looking car and a beautiful color combination! I have been to Manila once and wow that would be a gutsy place to drive one! I can only imagine how few "muscle" cars are over there!

You will really get the looks!!!

Rob

OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

That's true, i have seen more Audi R8's, BMW Z4's, and Porsche 911's in the streets of Manila than i have seen REAL American Muscle! Most old school American cars have inline-sixes here as well. There are a couple of "Eleanor" Clones that are very very well made here, but they're still clones right :wink: There is a small thriving community of Muscle Car enthusiasts here that have helped me a lot in giving support, both technical and moral, in this challenging project.

Nevertheless, if it is not being primed for a car show, i will be using my GT/CS mostly on early Sunday mornings and long highway drives out of town during holidays. :wink:

I am still hoping someone here can help me about the registry and if there is a way to find out how many California Specials are registered here :smile: Also, how do i go about the process of getting my vehicle into the registry?

Thanks!

robert campbell

Maverick,
I would think you registered your car on this site? Jon (admin) can help you to see if someone on this site is in your country. Send him a private message.

As for the registry, I guess you are speaking of the GT/CS registry that Paul Newitt has put together? There is a link on this site to talk to him as a sticky. He has some cars not on this site and vice versa. He is planning to publish a book, but he may have cut off any new "registry's" for inclusion in this book. He will need to answer that.

As far as registry's go these days, this site already is the definitive site for who owns the car. And the Marti site is the collection of the VIN numbers that are GT/CS or HCS cars. These cars change hands so often that a printed version is of little value. That is the great part about this site. It is free, and the collective knowledge of this site is second to none. And the registry is updated in a live format.

The best benefit to you is your Marti report and this site. But if you want to be in Paul's book, by all means go for it.

Rob

Mosesatm

Maverick,
I would think you registered your car on this site? Jon (admin) can help you to see if someone on this site is in your country. Send him a private message.

As for the registry, I guess you are speaking of the GT/CS registry that Paul Newitt has put together? There is a link on this site to talk to him as a sticky. He has some cars not on this site and vice versa. He is planning to publish a book, but he may have cut off any new "registry's" for inclusion in this book. He will need to answer that.

As far as registry's go these days, this site already is the definitive site for who owns the car. And the Marti site is the collection of the VIN numbers that are GT/CS or HCS cars. These cars change hands so often that a printed version is of little value. That is the great part about this site. It is free, and the collective knowledge of this site is second to none. And the registry is updated in a live format.

The best benefit to you is your Marti report and this site. But if you want to be in Paul's book, by all means go for it.

Rob

Rob,
Didn't Jon take down the registry link? I don't see it on the left side.

OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone!

I was able to get in touch with Paul Newitt, and after showing him the Marti report and pictures of the car, he said that my car was one of the first 1,000 that were special ordered by Ford dealers that were invited to a promotional party at the Century Plaza Hotel in Beverly Hills, and that the Black Stripe on Gulfstream Aqua is very rare! Wow did that make my day! :smile:

My dad is actually the second owner of the car, the first owner being a prominent Filipino Businessman from a very wealthy family. Being good friends, i believe my dad traded the two other nice cars for the GT/CS. Smart move dad! :wink:

OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

Here's a new photo of the car with temporary wheels, starting to settle down in her stance :smile:

Attachments

• stangside.jpg
    stangside.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 38

Ruppstang

Wow she is beautiful! You are on the home stretch now. What is left? Marty

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maverick

Maverick

I have everything covered, my engine should be running before the month ends. Interior is being finished as we speak as well. It will just take time and of course, lots of money! But this project is worth every penny! :cheesy:

Oh, i still do not have the Marchal fog lamps, our original ones were stolen long ago (i do know that i can order reproduction ones from NPD, am i right?).

I cannot wait to finish! I will keep you guys updated, thanks!

robert campbell

Rob,
Didn't Jon take down the registry link? I don't see it on the left side.
Arlie,
He did, but I think he still has it if Maverick asked him about locations of owners in the data he has. I think a couple of us downloaded it before it was gone. Not sure who?

Rob