• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grille moulding color blacked-out VS NOS

gtcs1

Hi,

I needed to replace my grille moldings due to replacement of my Lucas fogs to Marchal, and the fact that there are 2 mounting holes left out.

I just bought NOS moldings C7ZZ-8190-A & C7ZZ-8191-A. When I got them, I realize they're not the same color, much lighter color than my original ones.

Does the black-out treatment apply also to these 2 parts and the center molding piece, C7ZZ-8221-A. I thought it was for the grille only

If it's the case and I need to repaint them, I wonder if I really needed NOS ($$$), I was a bit deceived when I realized color is wrong. I could have just bought a used set, since I would need to repaint them anyway. The chrome portion if worn a bit could have been polished, I don't think this is real chrome but just polished aluminium?? Any thoughts on that.

If painting needed, what is the correct color?

Thanks

Last edited:

68gt390

Hi,

The chrome portion if worn a bit could have been polished, I don't think this is real chrome but just polished aluminium?? Any thoughts on that.

If painting needed, what is the correct color?

Thanks

You are correct. What you refer to as "chrome" is actually only polished aluminium. The rest of the trim is the same color as the grille. When I did mine I simply taped off the polished aluminium and did my painting. Below is a thread that talks about the correct color for the grille and trim pieces. Hope this helps.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4515

Don