• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

grille for HCS

Perkchiro

Mosesatm said:
Converting the '67 grille is a fairly simple process if you want to go that route. A '67 repro grille will cost around $90 and a set of brackets from Delta Bay Mustang run right around $75 I think. The only other things you need are paint ($10) and pop rivets ($4). So, if you have the tools, you are looking at $200.

For tools you'll need:
drill to remove the old pop rivets
pop rivet gun
tin snips or maybe a Dremel to cut out the openings
metal file to file down the edges of the openings

Don't forget to paint the back of the brackets. They show when the hood is open.

If you'd like I can send you a drawing of the front of the grille so you know where the 2 large openings go.

Arlie: I assembled my grill with "Tinners" rivets, not "Pop" rivets. I believe that would be correct for period correct restoration. Tell me if I'm screwed up on this one. I thought I read that in Paul N's book. Anybody else read that?
Steve

68gt390

Steve;
You are correct. It's on page 115, 96 registry. "Use tinner's rivets" that match the originals as closely as possible. Head diameter is 7/32" and 1/4" long.

As Arlie pointed out earlier "Us MCA types" might spot that. :rolleyes:

Speaking of that - I doubt seriously if most MCA Judges would even know unless of course your one with a GT/CS. Then again, most wouldn't bother with type of rivet used unless it's the concourse class. If your an MCA member you could check their judging rules off the MCA site and also download them. It's a pretty good place to look to get an idea of what the judges actually check in each class.

Don

Mosesatm

What is a tinner rivet and how does it differ from a pop rivet?

Perkchiro

Here's a shot of my grill with tinner's rivets. The difference is that a regular pop rivet has a central shaft that remains and appears as a hole in the top of the rivet head. A tinners rivet is solid on the head and is attached from the back side. I think that originally, there was a tinners rivet tool, but I couldn't find one so I just peened the back and flattened the rivet. Turned out Okay I think. Hope that explains it well and it is now clear as mud. :grin:

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP

69convert

ready to assemble

I modified the grill per the instructions gotten from this site. THANKS!!!. Turned out well even if I did do it. Got the brackets from delta bay mustangs. I am pleased as they are well made. I have looked for tinners rivets but haven't found any so far. If I don't find some soon I am going to use steel pop rivets, tig the hole closed, and grind flat. Oh why did someone have to point this out!!!!
Is this the way to tell a repop from a original grill? The 67 grill currently in the CS has the tinners rivets while the repop grill I just got has pop rivets.

68gt390

I'm getting ready to redo my second grille I have as a spare. You might check with Home Depot or Lowes for the tinner rivets. I'll be looking for them very shortly myself.

Don