• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 fuel line location and vapor lock

JT68cs

My wife and I just bought this 68 CS and are new to the group. We have lots to learn and I am concerned on how the fuel line was routed from the fuel pump to the carb (see pic). The car starts and runs fine until it warms up. In about 40 minutes the car stalls and is hard to start or will not start at all. Let it cool down and it starts right up. The car has a 1406 Edelbrock carb with a spacer. I get lots of air and bubbles in the fuel filter, the warmer the car gets the more air. When the car is no longer running bubbles will continue to bubble into the fuel filter. I put non ethanol gas in and it seemed to take longer for the problem to occur.
Am I getting vapor lock because the fuel line is touching the thermostat housing and engine bolts?
I'm thinking I should buy the correct fuel line for the 302 4v so it doesn't touch the engine at any point. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20231129_080722.jpg
    20231129_080722.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 60

Mosesatm

That’s a good looking engine!!

The fuel line should not be on any metal, especially the intake. Raising it an inch may resolve your problem. You may also want to move the fuel filter closer to the pump.

I once had that problem but it was caused by a dirty fuel filter. Does the Edelbrock have an internal filter?

speedy02

Yes, It appears someone made a custom fuel line. Looks like your fuel enters the Carb on the back corner of the carb. The Original J Code 302 fuel will not work for that location. The Auto 4300 would enter on drivers front and that fuel line will be on the right side of the distributor as shown below. @franklinair do you have a suggestion on fuel lines for Edelbrock Carbs?

1701716478360.png

OP
OP
JT68cs

JT68cs

That’s a good looking engine!!

The fuel line should not be on any metal, especially the intake. Raising it an inch may resolve your problem. You may also want to move the fuel filter closer to the pump.

I once had that problem but it was caused by a dirty fuel filter. Does the Edelbrock have an internal filter?
Not sure about a filter on the Edelbrock, will look into it. Can't move the line at all. Will buy a new line and route it differently. Hoping that helps.

Mosesatm

Mike is the Registrar and keeps track of all cars for sale, sold, found in wrecking yards, etc.
He most likely compared your engine photo to photos from recently advertised cars.

OP
OP
JT68cs

JT68cs

Yes, It appears someone made a custom fuel line. Looks like your fuel enters the Carb on the back corner of the carb. The Original J Code 302 fuel will not work for that location. The Auto 4300 would enter on drivers front and that fuel line will be on the right side of the distributor as shown below. @franklinair do you have a suggestion on fuel lines for Edelbrock Carbs?

View attachment 56110
Which engine is correct for the fuel line. I was sent both saying each is correct. The fuel line is different in each picture. Maybe a 2v and a 4v?

Attachments

• 1701402005117.png
    1701402005117.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 1701716478360.png
    1701716478360.png
    858.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here's a photo of my old J-code with the original 4300. I won't swear the routing is correct.

Attachments

• DSCN5997-2.JPG
    DSCN5997-2.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
JT68cs

JT68cs

Here's a photo of my old J-code with the original 4300. I won't swear the routing is correct.
This looks right for 302 4v. Just not sure what engine has the line go to the left of the distributor. As far as I can tell the fuel line for a 289 goes to the left of the distributor. Thanks for the picture, helps get a visual with the air filter off. This is probably the way I'll do it and just run a hose to the hard line of the Edelbrock carb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JT68cs

JT68cs

So with a lot of help I think I have a solution. Will it keep the car from stalling I don't know but will look much better and safer.
Going to buy a stock fuel line for a 289, Edelbrock hard line/filter, and an adapter. Will get rid of the glass filter and the line will no longer touch or be close to the engine. Will post an update if my problem goes away. Will be very similar to the picture. Thanks all for your help.
20231206_170420.jpg

Mosesatm

Here’s a photo of a 2100 from a 289.

Attachments

• IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 33

admin

Staff member
Administrator
@JT68cs it looks like you're already on track to get the Edelbrock hard line adapter (part #8131?) and the stock 289 hard line (which comes up on the passenger side like your carb needs). A couple of videos on the subject if you haven't already seen them:

While you're waiting to get those new parts, one test you could do is replace most of your current hard line with rubber line (ie. from shortly after the fuel pump all the way to your carb). If your car then runs well without any of the vapor lock symptoms you've described, then at least you know you're tackling the right problem.

OP
OP
JT68cs

JT68cs

@JT68cs Checking to see if you were able to get your issue fixed?
I rerouted the fuel line and it took a lot longer to stall out. When it started running bad I played with the ignition coil and it instantly died so I replaced the coil. It was the original from 1968 I believe. I was able to drive it a little bit and let the car idle for about an hour and it stayed running. Weather is not good here so will take it out and really test it when I can. So far so good, I need warmer weather to test it 100%. Think I need to adjust the carb and check the timing now too. Changing the two has now made the car harder to start when cold and when I get on it, doesn't seem to respond as well now. Hopefully the problem is taken care of and I can move onto the other issues.