• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Fuel injection for carb

mbsf1970

ok, so I'm thinking that I might want to swap out my carburator for a FI system.
Who here has done it? What kind of kit works best? Where to purchase? Cost range?
Things to consider??? Benefits, drawbacks??

Also, trying to get the C clips onto my hood pins but by hand it seems quite impossible. Tried pliers but couldn't hold them, apply necessary force and keep hood pins pushed down enough to access all at same time....suggestions? thanks in advance...

Stephen

dalorzo_f

I looked at the throttle body style EFI for the EXP repli-bute. As I found a dual quad setup here for half what the EFI would have cost me ($2k) I dropped the idea.

The pros as I saw it were crisper throttle response and the automatic tuning of AF mix. No "significant" power/performance gains as I saw it. Many will got the "bigger is better, more Hp is always the goal" and dismiss throttle bodies and go for multiple port injection as "better", the never ending slippery slope.

On the clips, you need a pair of snap ring pliers. With very fine tips.

I bought this Channel Lock setup, kinda slick as with the flip of a switch it goes from inside (compression) to outside (expansion) with the same tool. And it has a set of replaceable tips. I have the model 926.

https://www.channellock.com/specialty-tools.aspx?feature=retaining-ring-plier

franklinair

I had sent Stephen 'C' clips for the hood pins, rather than the spreadable circlip type.
They're a PITA to slip into the groove, but doable.

Neil

stangfan

Hey Stephen...just don't do what I did. Thought I had a good grip on the clip and it ended up flying to who knows where. I ended up reshaping and reusing the original clips.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Would love to re-shape/use original clips.........but there aren't any!

Anyone else on Fuel injection idea????

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Would love to re-shape/use original clips.........but there aren't any!

Anyone else on Fuel injection idea????

robert campbell

There is a great article on the Holley fuel injection conversion in the May issue of Modified Mustangs and Fords. This magazine has also tested the ProJection II set up. Projection looks like a carb and does not require a return line making the install pretty easy. Most of them are "self learning" these days. You get in and drive (drive it hard if you want best performance) and it adjusts to your driving habits.

Most FI's seem to gain you 3 to 4 miles to the gallon and I would submit better cold weather starts warm ups and overall better driving characteristics. At 3 to 4 miles per gallon on a car driven 2k miles a year it will take forever to justify it. I recommend carb combinations and tune a lot of Fords in my area. From dead stock to wild. Hard to beat the Edelbrock dual quad for a 'Wow" factor and they are easy to tune and not that bad on gas.

Performance wise it is pretty much a wash if you have an experienced tuner in you local area. I can make the choke systems on a carb work very well. They are important up in my local, but not so much in the southern states. One are the FI really shines is going over mountain passes. It adjusts to the lack of oxygen in the air.

I have thought about the ProJection set up. At nearly $3k it is a hard pill to swallow. I have also thought of the Inglese 8 stack set for Val's car. I have her 48 IDA Weber carbs working about as well as you can expect, but they have some inherent traits that are very hard to tune away. And they get zero gas mileage so to speak. I think an electronic 8 stack system would be a huge improvement. Inglese was purchased by Comp Cams who also owns FAST. FAST was on the ground floor of the fuel injection conversions and is respected across the industry. The "Wow" factor of 8 stack is a car show cruise night magnet!!

Rob