• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Fog Light Confusion!

platnumheart666

I am perplexed as to the proper Fog lights on the 1968 GT/CS.

Was there different type of posts?

I have samples from two very original GT/CSs that have different looking fog light posts. Both are GTs and S-codes

Which one is correct or are they both?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Annie

Attachments

• 2008 Oct MCE P40 Small.jpg
    2008 Oct MCE P40 Small.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44
  • d9ed3394-f3e5-4af1-9694-2f20044ee78b.jpg
    d9ed3394-f3e5-4af1-9694-2f20044ee78b.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 47

stangfan

The first picture has the correct posts for the Lucas lamps. The second picture has the square posts used on Shelby Mustangs. Many cars come with the square ones. Mine did, so I got the correct hardware from Bob Teets.

CougarCJ

I think I would like to mention Marchal fog lights too. :wink:

My GT/CS is an early built car (Feb 5, 1968), leaning towards Marchal fogs for my mine lately.

clubpro

Based on the registry that Mike Jewell has the earliest Marti confirmed GT/CS was built on January 19th, but there are a couple of cars one of which is Rob's Gold Nugget Special that may have been converted to a GT/CS and unfortunately it doesn't show up on the Marti as a CS.

Cheers,

Ron

Mosesatm

I am perplexed as to the proper Fog lights on the 1968 GT/CS.

Was there different type of posts?

I have samples from two very original GT/CSs that have different looking fog light posts. Both are GTs and S-codes

Which one is correct or are they both?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Annie

The best we can figure out is that when the Marchal lights were recalled and replaced with Lucas many dealers installed the short chrome posts that came with the Lucas lights instead of installing the proper tall GT/CS-only pedestals. They probably didn't read the memo!!

The standard Lucas chrome posts were used on '68 Shelbys because the Shelby grille is shorter than the GT/CS grille.
A bit of trivia - the Lucas lights were also installed upside-down on the '69 and '70 Shelbys.

In a nutshell, the fog lights on GT/CSs and Shelbys should be in the center (top to bottom) of their grilles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

As best we can figure out is that when the Marchal lights were recalled and replace with Lucas many dealers installed the short chrome posts that came with the Lucas lights instead of installing the proper tall GT/CS-only pedestals. They probably didn't read the memo!!

The standard Lucas chrome posts were used on '68 Shelbys because the Shelby grille is shorter than the GT/CS grille.
A bit of trivia - the Lucas lights were also installed upside-down on the '69 and '70 Shelbys.

In a nutshell, the fog lights on GT/CSs and Shelbys should be in the center (top to bottom) of their grilles.

This is why I love this forum, such a wealth of knowledge!

I am learning something new everyday!

Which is good, as I am hunting the perfect S-code to restore!

robert campbell

I wonder how many GT/CS cars had the Marchal's retrofitted at a dealer and they used a Shelby pedestal? And they were that way for years and years?

Arlie is spot on with the centering in the grill opening. The Shelby Lucas height on a GT/CS grill looks a bit odd to me. My GNS was built on 2 January and it still has the original Marchal's on the GT/CS grill and brackets.

I kinda like the look of the Marchal's myself.

Rob

dalorzo_f

x3, and why I did a custom job on the EXP to get this look... no pedestal, floating in the center of the grille a-la the original GT/CS look... find the square base to just look a bit klunky...

dalorzo_f

Thanks.

It was a "bucket list" item for me to do the EXP "repli-bute". Actually took it for a spin today... and the bias ply tires sure do provide a different road feel! :eek: