• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Factory A/C

CougarCJ

Was there a pattern for 67s and a pattern for 68s?

Scott

No, none that I can tell. Like one of my former managers used to say about tracking incidents.

One time is a single point on a graph.
Two points is a line.
Three points is a trend.

I wouldn't claim anything until I saw enough data. Preferably from Feb-July 1968 San Jose Mustangs or Cougars with integral air conditioning.

For those that don't know, I work for West Coast Classic Cougar, which is located in Salem, Oregon.

Found it!
In the Electrical Assembly Manual for 1968, I found the drawing for the A/C condenser installation. I does show the part number as (17) C7ZA-19C819-B grommet. Side note (42) ESB-M2G14-A or ESB M2G78 cement for stickum.
:cheesy:

J_Speegle

I like to go with what I have seen, not what is in the assembly manuals..........

+1

How does MCA or SAAC judge this piece?

Believe both expect it to be on the front of the radiator support

Why would you place it on the front? ..........

Believe the thought is that being on the front of the radiator support would cause the air pressure traveling through the grill to push the seal to the radiator support sealing the opening. If placed to the rear the air passing through the hole in the radiator support (after passing through the grill opening) will displace the seal rearward not providing its expected purpose

GTCSMustang

Jeff,

I understand what you are saying about the grommet. But the assembly manual clearly shows it on the back side. And after this I'm going to give up on this point. But I have NEVER seen a 1968 San Jose Mustang or GT/CS with it on the front side of the radiator support. Seen it there plenty of times on restored cars, but never on an original. I've had a bunch of 68s at this point. Many of them bought from the original owners. I just don't see a conspiracy of orig owners moving the grommet from the front side to the back. What makes the most sense is what is most obvious (at least to me). They were installed exactly as Ford intended. And now I'll shut up.

Scott

CougarCJ

Pictures speak a 1000 words. From a 29,000 mile San Jose F code Cougar XR7.
1968_AC_line_grommet-1028.jpg

1968_AC_grommet_outside-1028.jpg

CougarCJ

This should probably be the start of another thread.

Using the example of the grommet for the A/C lines through the radiator core support as an example.

What is the procedure for determining what are the correct restoration/installation procedures?

The way that Ford intended at the beginning of the model year? Pretty much what is outlined in the various assembly manuals.

The way that the assembly line workers ended up doing it? You would likely see differences based on individual assembly line workers by shift.

What is outlined in later service bulletins to correct 'issues'?

For this item, I can assume that the foam might have came with a sticky backed adhesive that had a paper cover. Certain installers may have found it easier to install from the front, and other from the back. Especially if one had to install it leaning over the fender rather than installing the foam seal while standing in front of a car moving down the assembly line.

Looking at the lines, the foam would have to be installed after the A/C lines.

Ruppstang

I talked with Pete Morgan the assisant nation head judge for the MCA today. He said he as see many orignals installed on the front. he said he would not deduct either way. Could have been aassembly plant differance or Ford changed it latter. Marty