• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

External Transmission Cooler

zed

Hi, I own a 1968 Mustang Coupe, but frequently search these forums due to the wealth of information about 1968 Mustangs in general.

I was curious if anyone has added an external transmission cooler on their car? I have a 289 A/C car so there's not much room up front, and I have my doubts that a cooler would do well in the small area between the condenser and radiator support. Thanks

franklinair

I've owned many '68's, 6 cyl, V-8's. Never needed or saw the need for a transmission cooler (unless you're running a non-stock or exotic setup). If you do decide to install one, it would have to be behind the front valance where there would be some airflow through the space between the lower edge of the bumper and the valance opening. If you're running a stock 289 & C-4 transmission, there is no appreciable benefit. (IMO)
Neil Hoppe

miller511

Tangent alert ;-)

Hey Casey,

How does the higher stall converter "behave" vs. the stock one?

Oh, and also (back on subject) where did you locate the transmission cooler?

-Jeff

case12

For the 289 it added giddyup (it would get up and move a lot faster), but not a lot of brute torque. That is why I am switching in a 347 stroker in front of it. It is mounted below the current radiator. I cant do pictures because it is getting its "engine" transplant at the shop right now. Casey

robert campbell

Jeff,
I put a 3,000 stall TCI converter in my 57 station wagon with the built 428 Cobra Jet. As Casey says, no more torque with a stock engine, but it puts a performance engine on the power band very quick. Basically when I mash the throttle (do that a lot with my cars) instead of it locking in at about 1,600 to 1,800 RPM it allows the motor to “sorta free wind” right to 3,000 rpm. Right in the fat part of the torque curve. So instead of a lag, you hit the power band like dropping the clutch on a manual car at 3,000. I kind relate it to just a bit more civilized than side stepping the clutch at 3,000 RPM. Things start to happen in a big hurry!!!

With Casey’s new motor and the stall converter, he will looking for a posi and bigger tires rather quickly!! His combination will be very impressive!! I would not bother with a higher stall converter in a stock application, but with the proper engine in front….. YAAAAA BABBBBEEEE!!

Rob

franklinair

If you went to an AOD late model tranny, then I would use a cooler, mounted as I said, behind the front valance (which is slightly below the bottom of the radiator). But as far as shift kits, converter, etc., save your money & time & work. No appreciable benefit.
Neil Hoppe

Perkchiro

I bypassed the lower radiator tank and used an external trans cooler. This was suggested to me because the original set-up was not an ideal one, and under stressful driving conditions, the trans cooling was poor. I don't know if that's entirely true, but not to take any chances with a new trans rebuild, I positioned it in front of my condenser, down low and toward the passenger side. It has worked well, along with a deep transmission pan that requires an additional quart of fluid. Just my experience using a trans cooler.

OP
OP
Z

zed

franklinair,

You hit the nail on the head. I'm swapping an AOD into my 68 Coupe. I thought about the lower valence area, but was worried the cooler would be too exposed being low to the ground.

rvrtrash

I guess I'm the oddball in the group once again. On a previous car I had an external cooler on, I didn't bypass the radiator cooler. I tapped into the return line to the tranny with the cooler. I figured the radiator part would initially cool the fluid to near engine coolant temp and then the external cooler would pull it down lower, a two stage setup that would also give me extra ATF in the system. There I go over thinking things again. :wink:

Steve

robert campbell

Steve,
Me too. In the old days the companys actually recommended that in their instructions or certainly printed it as an option. I think both coolers in tandem would only be better myself.

I think an AOD needs a bit more cooling. If I installed one, I would certainly add an external cooler!

Rob

CJ

Our's still has a Hayden trans cooler on it since 1972 when we purchased a ski boat and needed something to temporarily pull it (still have the jet boat). The trans cooler is located in front of the a/c condenser. The trans lines go direct to the cooler only. As of yet, we never had any problems whatsoever with the trans.

CJ

joedls

I guess I'm the oddball in the group once again. On a previous car I had an external cooler on, I didn't bypass the radiator cooler. I tapped into the return line to the tranny with the cooler. I figured the radiator part would initially cool the fluid to near engine coolant temp and then the external cooler would pull it down lower, a two stage setup that would also give me extra ATF in the system. There I go over thinking things again. :wink:

Steve

I did the same thing to my car when I installed an AOD in it.

OP
OP
Z

zed

Anyone have any pics of their cooler installs? Thanks guys

Perkchiro

Anyone have any pics of their cooler installs? Thanks guys

It's a little tough getting a camera in that tight of space, but maybe this will give you an idea of where mine is installed. I painted it with radiator black to match the condenser and radiator, so it's not so visible behind the front grille. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Trans Cooler.jpg
    Trans Cooler.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Trans Cooler top view.jpg
    Trans Cooler top view.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Trans Cooler in Grille.jpg
    Trans Cooler in Grille.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 19