• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Exaust for GT/CS

Ratwip

Hi guys I just bought my GT/CS from LA and drove it back up to the bay area friday. Here are some pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/ratwip
I was looking under the car and to my amazement there were no tail pipes. The exaust ended at the muffler. It has duel exaust what do you guys suggest as far as tail pipes?

Some of the options that came with this car:
A/C - In parts in my trunk
P/S
Vinyl Top
In Dash Clock :) its broken
Deluxe Interior
Front Disk Brakes
Its the classic 289 v2 engine
Duel Exaust
GT Wheels

BrandonB

very sharp lookin I like it. Now alls ya gotta do is name her =)

Calspecialdreamer

Ratwip,

Your code on the door shows "C" which is a 289, 2bbl carb. I believe those came stock with single exhaust, so someone must have put duels on it. Normally, if it came factory with duels, it would have an exhaust tip with double openings. Also, the rear valance would have cutouts for the tips extend. Since the valance does not have the cutouts (which is correct for your car) you can put whatever tips you would like, but I think just a nice single tip exhaust protruding an inch to inch and a half would like fine.....

68sunlitgold

Ratwip,
Fry is correct, your 289 can with single exhaust from the factory but the dealer could have put dual exhaust on it before it was delivered to the first owner. Even with a 289 and it may be incorrect, a great addition to any GT/CS is daul exhaust with the rear valance cut-outs with the dual tiped exhaust tips, this was standard on GT's. Your car could not have the GT package because of the 289 but this addition looks great. I know of many owners who have added this, I may do the same in the future and it is an easy switch back to make it correct.
Doug

OP
OP
R

Ratwip

I hate to say it guys but your wrong. I have been talking to some Gold Card Judges from the MCA and they said that California Special Cars can have GT options even if they have a 289. It was unique to these cars that even if the GT package was not availible to the 289 engine the owner could select GT options such as GT wheels and duel exaust.

BrandonB

I don't belive thats right but I could be wrong Paul would know for sure.

68sunlitgold

Ratwip,
I did not say you could not purchase optional GT item, ie upgraded suspension, chrome wheels (without the "GT"emblems in the center), etc, but what Fry and I were saying is you could not get the "GT option package" on a 289 engine. Any Mustang could have these options added not just the GT/CS. I don't know if you could get dual exhaust as an option from the factory with a 289, but I am not positive on that . What I was saying is standard for a 289 from the factory was single exhaust and most had the dual exhaust add at the dealer. I will research my books to see if dual exhaust was optional for a 289 from the factory.
Doug