• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Electric choke (Edelbrock)

franklinair

I thought I'd read it somewhere - but what's the best area/source to pick up the 12V power for the electric choke on an Edelbrock carb?

Neil

PS - I didn't see a prompt (or know how to put in the 1968 reference):embarass:

robert campbell

Neil,
I like to use the "ignition keyed" wire from the plug that goes down to the automatic for neutral/park starting. It is not hot when you are in accessory mode. If you splice on the harness towards the auto side, a concours guy can replace the whole thing later.

That is where mine is on my GT/CS.

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

That'll do it! Thanks Rob. In the past I only used a manual choke, but this carb came with the electric- so I thought I'd go ahead & use it. I think I can piggyback the wire along the engine harness, past the temp sensor & along the coil primary wire, and to the carb choke. Only Sherlock Holmes would be able to detect it. (And if anyone bends over far enough to look THAT close, their derrier will make a good target for a swift kick!)

Neil (devious) Hoppe:cool:

rvrtrash

On a previous car, I went right from an accessory terminal on the fuse block with a new wire (I hate cutting factory wiring--sorry). I also tie-wrapped a temp. switch on one of the hoses to the heater core, so the choke wouldn't even start getting power until water temp was 68 deg. Mine was a Holley and the engine was kind of cold blooded, so I had to delay how fast the choke opened.

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Steve;
The way I do mine is to separate the connector, strip the end of a wire (18ga), insert it into the receptacle (female side), then put the connector back together. This leaves a pigtail coming out of the connector to hook up to whatever you're trying to power, and it doesn't harm or require damaging the original harness.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
Thanks!!! I never thought of that solution! Ole hack and cut Rob! I use lots of light greese or anti-sieze on those plugs!! They can reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy be hard to pull apart. As with most multiple wire Ford plugs.
Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I completed the electric choke hookup this afternoon, using the circuit Rob suggested (thru neutral safety ckt). The connector was a bear to separate, just as Rob said! The power is present when the key is in the 'run' position, and I watched the electric choke open as it should (closed-to-open in about 2 minutes). I routed the wire along the engine harness, and it is barely visible. I'm a happy camper today.:icon_ecst

Neil