• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Edelbrock Carb questions...

Edward Bodoh

Alright carb guys, I'm leaning toward swapping out my carb for an Edelbrock performer 500 cfm. Reason being is the carb in the car now is spewing like Beverly Hillbillies. My engine size is a 289 ci. And the carb is not the original. I'm also going to pair it up with matching intake. Can anyone give me feedback on this carb or what they have in their cs...as far as aftermarket goes. I don't want to go 600 cfm if I don't need to. Are they plug and play? Or Is it best to pay For install.

Holley or Edel.... positive or negatives...your input will help me decide as carbs aren't my forte.

Thanks. Ivy rEd here.

Last edited:

Maine gt/cs

I have a 302 in my car and put an Edelbrock on without any problems at all. Like you said, plug and play without touching a thing. I just bolted it on and started the car up and performs very well. Mine is the 1406 series with 600cfm.Very happy with the carb. Hope this helps.

Tim

franklinair

I use the Edelbrock Performer 4BBL intake, and their 500CFM carb (with electric choke) for 289/302 small blocks.

Neil

CougarCJ

Except for fuel line routing the Edelbrock is plug and play.

robert campbell

For a basically stock engine it is hard to beat the Edelbrock Carb. My Dad Neil started using them in mid 1950's when it was introduced as a Carter AFB. A proven design and easy to work with. For more modified engines I would go for a Holley application. They are easier to tune for performance applications IMO.

Rob

p51

I have an 1406 Edelbrock 600cfm on a 302 J-code, stock engine. I really like it. It is easy to tune and has good throttle response. I chose the Eddy 1406 because my mechanic (who only works on classic stangs for 30yrs or so) suggested it.

Only issue I ran into was that when the fuel pressure to an Eddy gets above ~5.5 - 6 psi you can get flooding as fuel pushes past the check valves in the bowls. Even if your fuel pump doesn't put out pressure above that you can still get some flooding when you turn the engine off and let the car sit. What happens is with the fan off the temperature under the hood rises (for a while before then dropping as the engine cools off). This causes either the (1) gas in the line between the pump and the carb to expand = more pressure or (2) the gas in the bowls to expand/boil. The fuel can percolate from the bowls into the carb. Flooded. I put a low pressure regulator just before the carb and a spacer between carb and intake manifold so the heat of the engine would not be easily transmitted to the bowls. No more flooding...

JT68cs

I have a 302 in my car and put an Edelbrock on without any problems at all. Like you said, plug and play without touching a thing. I just bolted it on and started the car up and performs very well. Mine is the 1406 series with 600cfm.Very happy with the carb. Hope this helps.

Tim
I have the same carb and engine. What fuel line did you use or did you stick with the stock line from pump to carb and run a rubber fuel line to carb?