• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Earliest Mustang Memory

luisa2552

Yesterday I took the CS out for a drive in the country. I found myself on a backroad I took often long ago to see my high school sweetie. He had a '69 Mach I, a '67 fastback and a '65 restomod with stacks on the 2 carbs coming out if the hood. He used to race it at Sears point. He let me drive the Mach I a lot and I think that's when I fell in love (with Mustangs that is, not him!)
I don't remember knowing about mustangs before that, but he sure cought me up quick! Instead of dates we'd work on the cars. Too bad I didn't pay more attention!

Midnight Special

...'Neat Sara :) Are you asking that others share their earliest memories too?

Example: One of mine was gawking at a brand new '68 Highland Green Shelby parked along the road while walking to school as a second grader :)

P.S. I know I had a girlfriend or two who seemed to love my '69 Mach more than me. That was okay tho... That yellow Mach was my true high school sweatheart ;-)

marie68csmustangs

My boyfriend had a nice red 66 Mustang that He got from his Mom.. What is funny is that "Midnight Special" worked on the car.. I remember we took a trip from Grass Valley to Sacramento in it.. We had to stop every few miles to rechange the battery but, we finally made it to Sacramento.. The motor finally blew. I miss that car...

Marie

somethingspecial

My earliest Mustang Memory was a 1968 Shelby GT350 Conv. that live down the street from me. I always remember the taillights and deck lid were so cool. Then, as fate would have it, Midnight Special and I were camping near the railroad tracks and talking about cars. He told me about this GT/CS he used to have, and the next day we went and looked at it. I purchased the car and the rest is history. (It is truly amazing we even remembered the conversation the next day, as I think we both had a blood alcohol level of at least .25 during the conversation). LOL. Boy, who knew the GT/CS would have the same taillight assembly and deck lid. Mike

69convert

My parents candy-apple red, s-code gt '68 fastback. I think it had the 4spd top-loader. I can't quite remember and neither can mom. Dad was a mechanical whiz(came from growing up on a farm with not a lot of money) and had the engine outfitted with all the chrome goodies at the time.

Mustanglvr

I remember riding to Lake Tahoe from Ely, Nevada in my older sister`s 64 1/2 or 65 2+2 fastback in 1969. It was Turqouis with white interior and a rare 260 engine. I had to ride in the back, in the middle on the hump. On the way back to my sisters house I was soaking wet cuz my mean other sister had thrown me in the lake in my clothes. That was also the day I discovered I loved black olives!
The Mustang ended up rusting away in the Nevada desert.

I also remember the next year, 1970 riding in the back of my Mom`s new 70 Mach I, taking it home for the first time. It was dark blue with blue interior and a 351 4V. I remember reminding her many times that she was doing 100 miles an hour in a 65 mph zone, lol. She let a cousin of mine drive it for the day in Washington State in 1974. When we got it back the cousin had taken it to a repair shop and had a governor put on it to keep it slow. It must have scared her, lol. It was one of my first cars to learn how to drive along with my 73 Camaro.

Midnight Special

My boyfriend had a nice red 66 Mustang that He got from his Mom.. What is funny is that "Midnight Special" worked on the car.. I remember we took a trip from Grass Valley to Sacramento in it.. We had to stop every few miles to rechange the battery but, we finally made it to Sacramento.. The motor finally blew. I miss that car...

Marie

Indeed Marie - I did maintenance and tune-ups on that car about 10 years before your boyfriend had it. NOT...not...NOT...right before the charging system failed and the engine blew! ;-))) Indeed too; it was a very nice car!

John McGilvary

The earliest memory of a Mustang was in 1965 when I went to bother my
big brother that worked at a local Ford dealership. That was the first time
I sat in a Mustang. The second time I sat in a Mustang was in 1968 and I
drove it home from the dealership, it was my California Special. Being a
California Special with the new 428cj, it was the coolest car in town, and
prety fast too. John

PonyGal

Wow, my earliest Mustang memory will be with me forever! I was a young girl and my best friend's uncle had just bought a brand-new 1968 Mustang convertible - Britney Blue. He took my little sister, my best friend and I out for a ride in it with the top down. He let us sit up on the back for a short distance, and we were in seventh heaven! I can distinctly remember the radio blaring out the new Steppenwolf song “Born to be Wild”. On that day, I vowed to myself that I would someday own one of those beautiful ’68 Mustangs! I don’t have a convertible (yet), but I absolutely love the little ’68 Sunlit Gold coupe that I do have!

Last edited: