• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Door Weatherstriping

CALIF GIRL

I am planning on installing the door weatherstriping soon. Can anyone post a picture of the weatherstriping installed. I am having trouble figuring out how it goes.

On a good note I got the drip rails installed and the upper dash trim and a few other small things completed yesterday. Working on door panels, changing the steering wheel (back to stock) and rear shocks today.

Diesel Donna

Are you going to bring the car to Knott's? If so and you haven't entered yet, you better hurry because they always sell out. I look forward to meeting you!

~~~~Donna

Door panels and shocks are easy to install...but weatherstripping I am not very good at. Maybe it was the wrong temparature when I put my trunk weatherstrip on but the black glue didn't stick very well.

OP
OP
CALIF GIRL

CALIF GIRL

Yes I will be at Knotts. I sent in the registration a while back. I am planning on going to dinner with all of you. I know it will be great to have our cars all together. I hope I don't forget my camera.

My father and I got alot of work done on my car during my days off. the stock steering is back on, changed the upper dash trim, put weatherstriping on both doors and the trunk, and put new rear shocks on.

I also took a drive n the car...Love driving this car.

see ya soon

6t8-390gt

The weatherstriping around the window opening is simply pressed into the trim piece with a screw at the leading edge. The door weatherstrip is glued with weatherstripng adhesive. Pay attention when removing the existing weather strip and reverse the procedure. I test fit the door strip before applying the adhesive. I have a black car with black interior so the black weatherstriping blends in...doesn't photograph well in this instance.

68Fan

I just installed my door weather stripping and had some issues but it turned out well. You want to purchase 3M's weather stripping glue (its in an orange box and is sold at Napa, Kragen, etc.). The 3M product suggests you clean the weather strip (WS) and put a "light first coat on ensuring its dry before install. This worked fine for me but it was a bit messy. I would also do a dry run to ensure you are not going to have any problems as suggested earlier. The corners are the toughest so I wouldn't put glue on the entire WS but do it in pieces, as you don't want it to dry before you can get it into the correct position. The product dries and gets tacky pretty quick. I installed the weather strip (dry) on the door at both end and added adhesive as I worked around the corners. This allowed me to ensure I wasn't under or over stretching the WS. I had to hold the WS to the door corners until the glue was tacky enough to hold otherwise your WS will pull away and leave a mess that is hard to clean up.

If you want more details let me know.

Sean (68Fan)

PFSlim

Putting on weatherstriping around the doors is really not that hard. I would recommend that you ensure the track is good and clean. Use enough 3M product as you need to get it to stick but not to much that it leaks out over the side of the seal. I used black sealant to match the seal. Once in place, it sticks pretty well by itself. I have included pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01218.JPG
    DSC01218.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01219.JPG
    DSC01219.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01220.JPG
    DSC01220.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 26