• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Door Handle (Outside) Replacement Tips?

lunker

Before I mess something up - Does anyone have any tips or tricks for replacing the outside door handles? Access, rod removal, inner bolt/stud etc. Thanks..

rvrtrash

If I remember correctly, I took the window seal off the back of the door so I could get a better visual of what I was doing and then just had to reach up inside, pried the clip free with a small screwdriver (it pivots off the rod) and used a wrench to loosen the two nuts holding the handle on. The window has to be all the way up and access is through the door panel which must be removed, by the way. Good luck-it's a tight fit.
Steve

PFSlim

Steve is right, it is a tight fit. When you disconnect the clip from the rod, keep in mind that you may have to re-adjust the rod to make the door handle work properly. Don't assume that you can install the new handle and hook up the rod, and everything will work great.

Don't forget about the pads that the handle sits on. They will protect the paint. Also, I had my windows out, thus added more room.

Paul