• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do we know where the first GT/CS cars are ?

L8GR868

Any one know where the cars are that were in the commercials or at the opening night in Feb. 1968? If so were the hood locks changed or the side scoops.
Eric

P

PNewitt

This is one of the things I'm chasing down for the new book.
We know a few things about these cars.

1. They were production cars--very early cars, but they had no production script on them. I can say that it was only "around two weeks or so" into production.

2. These cars were driven to the event. I have photos with road dirt on the tires. If they'd used a car carrier, the tires would be clean.

3. There was one candyapple red CS used in the commercials, and a turquoise one with a white top used in the print ads, and photos sent to the press. This same car was on the stage at the event. The red one had click-style hood pins attached with rivets, instead of the 3M sticky back. It almost makes me wonder if that was the GT/SC car, but probably not, since the hood had been filled in from having F-O-R-D letters on it (like a '67).

4. There are also some cars that were used to impress upon the No. Cal. dealers assn., driven off a car carrier at the Pico Rivera Plant. This is a bit of a mystery....that I need to ask about, too. The "Ford Dealers Advertising Fund" (FDAF) was a BIG part of the promotion of this car. It was this group of the elite Ford dealers in Calif, that formed the alliance to make this car happen.

What I'd LOVE to find is that Turquise GT/CS with the white top. It was also a GT. Maybe some eagle-eye will find it in either registry. It would have to be a pre-Feb 15th car.

And--there is a story that Lee Grey wanted the CS to have a tack in it, regardless of engine as part of the package. Maybe problems with providing wiring for a 6 cylinder nixed that idea....

Paul N.

CJ 56

Hi all, interesting, my GT/CS is a built in that build period that the 8 promotional cars where made. 1- 13 Feb 68. The Marti says one of 8, the order type is Basic Off - standard equipment ( which means promotional), It has a Tach, floor and roof consul, C4, power steer, power breaks,Air Con, Rear window demister, 289, and 12 slot wheels ( wheels all stamped 68). Standard interior. Original colour is Medow lark Yellow, now Red, but is now in the pannel shop for work and a new paint job. What colour is a big question, I love the Red it really stands out, have had it beside a Medow Lark 350 Shelby and a white KR 500 and the Red GT/CS just looks far better. Car is in New Zealand.

CJ 56

I forgot to say the hood is odd, ( have purchased a new hood to put on while in the panel shop) The original hood has had the pin holes welded up. Underneath the welding is only over about a circle of about 2 inches in diameter, which is too small for the proper GT/CS pins. The holes under the bonnet should be about 3 inches across. Looks like it originall had pins and clip type hood pins. Interesting what you have just said above about hood pins Paul.
I have new proper GT/CS pins and securing latchs ( Latchs to go infront of the radiator) and going to fit the new bonnet and pins with the repaint, I was then going to do the old bonnet up and sell it. Maybe I should be keeping it as it may be a very rare original bonnet.

Chris

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

I would'nt change a thing. Do you have pictures of the under side of the hood. Just wondering what the hood locks look like compared to the production cars. And how they mount to the frame. Are the F O R D holes filled on your hood ? On your Marti report does it still show 4118 or just 8. Maybe we have 4126 ?
Food for thought.
Eric

BroadwayBlue

What is a rear window demister?

Is that the same as a defogger?

Demister sounds like it sprays water so wondering if they are one in the same.

A lot options on your car!

CJ 56

Hi All , Marti says 4118, Defogger would be correct. Just different terminology in different parts of the world, I will check for holes along the front edge. Will get pictures of underside. Car is in the panel shop so will take a few days to get these. In the video I sent Paul of the car I have included the welded up under bonnet.
Chris

robert campbell

This is very interesting. I hope Paul can shed some light. My car has a higher set of holes on the right quarter. Left quarter is gone and the right one is compatible with all other sheet metal codes on the car. It is original to the car. Pics in my gallery. This is fuzzy in my mind, but I remember that there may have actually been 2 sets of holes for the upper “California” script when I had it to the metal in 1989. Like it was located and then relocated. The higher holes for the “Special” script was only one set. The relationship between the higher holes for the California and the Special script was identical to the traditional relationship on later cars.

My build is January 3 1968. Thoughts are that it was pulled and staged for conversion to a GT/CS, but Paul is trying to get more info on that.

As Paul says is seems that the first cars definitely were assembled and the script added at a later date. Maybe even at a dealer.

The fun continues! It would be so cool to find one of the promo cars! It amazes me that one has not surfaced long before now…

Rob