• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do I Really Have a HCS?

rvrtrash

Hey Karen, you're only a couple hundred miles from me. If you work your way down here sometime, I'll fill you in on all things Cleveland. As for the VIN, you have to move the top of the fender away from the inner fender to see it. It's pretty much a couple hours project. It may be on the top of the tranny also but you would have to have it out of the car to see it.

Steve

BroadwayBlue

Good Morning Arlie

I took the VIN from the vehicle transfer papers and the insurance papers. That's all I have to go by at this point.

Could this be bad?
K
Hi Karen,

First - Never EVER hestitate to ask questions - we don't mind and it's also helpful for those that don't want to ask.
Like they say - the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

Arlie,
Is there a VIN Plate on the dash prior to 68?

vin.jpg

mmarsalone

Hi Karen,

First - Never EVER hestitate to ask questions - we don't mind and it's also helpful for those that don't want to ask.
Like they say - the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

Arlie,
Is there a VIN Plate on the dash prior to 68?

vin.jpg

No VIN plates on dash prior to 68'. The official VIN on pre 68' cars is the fender apron. And the VIN on 68's are on the passenger side, they moved to the driver's side in 69'.

Mike

P

PNewitt

The Shuswap is in the interior of British Columbia. Very sunny and hot in the summer but very cold in the winter. It's very beautiful here (am I boasting too much?)

Yes, I now have a 351 Cleveland engine but that's where my knowledge ends. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me on horsepower etc that would come with it?

It's a beauty and I feel very lucky to have it HCS or not.

PS: will I have to leave if it's not?

Hello, Karen,

It looks like you've been "adopted" by our wonderful group of GT/CS and HCS owners. You've done quite well, considering the steep learning curve of Mustangin'.

With your 1967 VIN, it's not a GT/CS, but there is a chance that it might be a 1967 HCS, or High Country Special. In 1966 and 1967, the Denver area dealers sold Mustangs that were painted a few different colors, and they put these metal shield badges (about 2" wide) on each of the front fenders. That is why Bob Teets (the HCS Registrar) asked you that question.

Whomever had this car, saw that it was a 6 cylinder, and went hog wild putting in a Cleveland 351. No doubt, they also had the change the transmission and a different rear axle for that engine. Perhaps another (wrecked?) Mustang or Cougar was used to get the engine, rear end, etc... The 351 puts out something like 300 hp; so be careful with the gas pedal. The thing to watch out for is "fishtailling", in which the rear end swings out if you punch the gas pedal too hard while making a tight turn. Every Mustanger has experenced that "limitation" the hard way. Not to frighten you, just to let you know.

If it turns out that you do not have a HCS, well....you'll have to pack up and leave...JUST KIDDING!! You seemed to have piqued our curiosity, and our group likes you! We likes ya, Karen! Something tells me that you'll end up with a GT/CS (or HCS) before long (if you'd like); someone will find one for you...and help you the whole time.

Shuswap. Sounds like an Indian name??. My family (great grandfather) lived in Vancouver. I just sent a historical photo from 1899 to the Museum in Victoria. It was of a railroad station in the B.C. interior (Google: Rogers Station) that was later destroyed in a snowslide in Feb 1899. My grandfather's photo--is the only one that shows the stationmaster's family that was killed in the slide. It will be part of a travelling B.C. museum on rails. A very sad story.

Back to GT/CSs. There are a few owners in B.C. that own them that can help you out, too. I run the GT/CS Registry, and I'm happy to help in any way I can. You seem like a very nice person, and we'd like to keep in touch. There is a possibility that since your Mustang is already red, it could be modified into a Shelby prototype named "Little Red", which is another story...but that was an awesome looking Mustang that I think you'd love to see.

Yes, you fell into the lap of quite a nice group. I feel quite fortunate to know them, and to be involved with so many wonderful folks that help each other out.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress. Wear your seatbelts, too.

Paul Newitt

OP
OP
J

jooleette

Why a bit hello to you Paul! Very happy to meet you!

I'm very honoured to be adopted by your group. Being I'm so new to this "Mustangin" it's has been a little overwhelming at times because there seems to be so much more I need to know. It's certainly not like owning a VW (yes, my other car is a rabbit) Thank you, again everybody for your patience and help as I learn my new about my new obsession.

It seems that Rogers Station is just a scant two and a half hours from where I live. I remember reading stories about the snowslide along the railroad. There are some heavy snowfalls in that area of our province. It is now the haven for snowmobilers and skiers. That was wonderful of you to send the photo to the Victoria Museum. I will definately keep my eyes open for the travelling museum should it come in my direction. And yes, Shuswap is an Indian name. The Shuswap Band has a small reserve North of me. And of course Vancouver is about 6 hours drive (dependant on speed of course!)

Little Red? It seems to me I just read about that but I can't remember the details. Sounds fun though! I will Google tonight.

But guess what! I found my dataplate! It was in a box of nuts, bolts and other strange stuff. It is pretty beat up but the numbers are :

65AT 7A 28C B7 (no DSO) 2 W

Now I've done a short search on that and what I've come up with is

Year: 7 1967

Plant: R San Jose, CA

Body Series: 01 2 Door Hardtop

Engine: T 200 1v I6

Unit: 195230 195230

Body: 5AT code not found

Color: 7A code not found

Trim: 28C code not found

Date: 7B February 7, 1967

D.S.O:

Axle: 2 2.83:1, Conventional

Trans: W C4 Automatic

What does it mean if the code is not found?

Oh yeah, I've also order the Morti thing, a new dataplate and the build sheet from Ford.

This is too much fun!!

Thank you again everybody. I really appreciate your help.

Karen

OP
OP
J

jooleette

Well, I think that who ever printed up this dataplate was smoking something funny! I can't find any of those codes anywhere!

Can somebody please tell me where I should be looking for those codes? Does that mean that it was a special colour order?

Karen

OP
OP
J

jooleette

Never mind....

I got it:

Classic Mustang Decoder Results
Warranty Number: 7R01T0195230
Year: 7 1967

Plant: R San Jose, CA

Body Series: 01 2 Door Hardtop

Engine: T 200 1v I6

Unit: 019523 019523

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data
Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior

Color: T Candyapple Red

Trim: 7A Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Knitted Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 28C March 28, 1967

D.S.O: B7 Pacific Canada

Axle: 2 2.83:1, Conventional

Trans: W C4 Automatic

Well, I think I need a drink after all that! My goodness, who knew?

Thanks again....

Karen

OP
OP
J

jooleette

sooo, I guess that answers the questions as to whether or not I have an HCS.

Well that's ok, cause I still love my car even though the gas gauge doesn't work and I ran out of gas about ten feet from a gas station who's computers were down and the pumps weren't working. Then it kept stalling in front of Safeway when I tried to get junk food for my boy child.

But I have a 1967 Mustang!

Karen

P

PNewitt

Hey, Karen!

What an adventure you went through...first, getting gas, then deciphering your data plate.

Yep, you got a Pacific Canada Red '67 Mustang. The HCS DSO was 51. <<sigh>>

It looks like you'll need some help. As you've seen, there are folks willing to help you out with your gas gauge, etc. (just how much are those Imperial Gallons of gas out your way these days?)

Since I don't think there is a Mustang Club in Shuswap (yet!) you might want to join the big club in Vancouver: http://www.gvma.org/ They are very nice people, and very helpful, too!!

There is a thread somewhere here about "Little Red". I'm sure someone will find it for you ASAP. There is another thread-- "Dare I Ask" that I started where people talk about themselves, and there are some photos, too.

It's refreshing to have such a candid fellow Mustanger here.
Enjoy your newfound partner in transportation!

Paul N.

OP
OP
J

jooleette

Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply and the link to GVMA in Greater Vancouver. I will give the website a more indepth look when I have a little bit more time.

And you are absolutely right that I need help with the gauges! The speedometer is wonky too. I have a great Mustang parts place only about 30minutes from where I live and I've heard they are very knowledgeable. I think I will be dropping most of my paycheques there for the next few months (or years).

And our gas is $4.25 (CDN) a gallon. (Or $1.10 a litre)

I"m still having some problems with my carb and it doesn't like to run very well when it's cold. And maybe it's just that it's a 40 year old car that hasn't been driven for a few years and it just needs to get the cobwebs shaken out.

I will find those two thread you mentioned, again when I have a minute.

Must run, supper is on the table!

K

P

PNewitt

Hey Karen,

What's for Supper? LOL...

With that 351 Cleveland, you may need some carb work done. It's either a Ford unit, or Holley. If it's a Holley, it will take some more knowledge, and tinkering. Holleys have a life of their own, and the metering blocks like to warp, and the accellereation pumps can act up, too. You might want to spray some (WD-40) lube on the throttle linkage, too. They like to stick, and make sure the return spring is good and strong. You don't want a runaway car! LOL.

Lucky for you to have a local Mustang shoppe in your area. if the prices seem too high--it might be the exchange rate, and/or difficulty getting parts from the States.

Paul N.
p.s. get a look at your private message thingy at the top right of your page.

P

PNewitt

And furthermore..... :)

1. You may wish to contact this place for parts up there in Canada...

http://www.canadianmustang.com/

2. Here is that thread of "everyone" here on the boards ("DareI Say? Post photos of ourselves"?). Lots of new folks since 7/06, but I'd thought you'd enjoy seeing all 15 pages of this (over 11,000 hits!)

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3508

3. Here is a photo of the late 1967 Shelby Prototype, named "Little Red" that I was talking about--you perhaps making your Mustang into. It was the inspiration for the GT/CS. All this fiberglass is still available today (rear decklid, end caps, taillight panel, hood, nose).

(this pic will soon to appear in my book, much larger!)

Paul N.

Attachments

• ltlred.jpg
    ltlred.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jooleette

Hello Paul

My goodness, you sure it the nail on the head when you mentioned the carb. I did have a double pumper (now, I must remind you that I am only quoting the mechanic here and will most likely get the wording wrong). Anyway, the car did come with another carb which the guy had to change because he fiddled with the double pumper for two and a half hours. It is a Holley but he is suggesting that I get that changed to something else but I don't remember to what. The Holley is quite tempermental and is already a bit more challenging that I like.

I've been to the Mustang Connections a time or two and at this point they seem quite reasonable and are matching Canadian Mustang's pricing. Plus I don't have to pay for shipping or wait for the post office to get it here. Also, they know mustangs like nobody I've met.

Canadian Mustang is just down the road from my in-laws and I've already got there catalog. (gosh, it's fun looking through that!)

After I finish this post I will be heading off to "dare I say" to meet everybody.

You may have to elaberate on the book you are writing. I'm assuming it will be Mustang related but for restoration or history?

That sounds fun too.

Thank you again for your time.
K

robert campbell

Karen,
There is nothing bad about your car!!! It is beautiful. It appears to be a 6 cylinder car by the "T" in the VIN, but who cares!!! The 351 Cleveland is a great engine and is very powerful. At the same time you should have no problem handling it. The paint looks great and even if it is just a 67 coupe and not a HCS, it is still valuable and cool. Most cars today that are "restomoded" or "made more modern and more powerful" are more vaulable. The paint is hot and the car looks great. Drive it, add to it, and enjoy it. You have a beatiful example of the finest pony car line in America!!

Rob

patty.dilabio

Hello karen,and welcome to a great group of car enthusiasts!! you have some good questions that some books may help you figure out.If you can try to find a Ford shop manual,it will explain the codes and stuff that people have been asking about.If you look under the hood on the left side the vin number is stamped into the inner apron and the fender will have a section notched to allow it to be visible.The door data plate is available from Marti,and is part of the deluxe report.they also sell the correct rivets to install it onto the door.If you can contact them soon maybe they can add it to your report.Do you read any magazines like Mustang Monthly?? They are loaded with info on vintage Mustangs.Best wishes and enjoy!!