• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Decklid Potential purchase

fast65

Hi, My name is paul and I am new to the forum.

I have a san jose 68 coupe that I would like to add the the decklid and end caps. I have located a Supposed original decklid, and am wondering is there a sure way to tell an original 68 part vs a repo?

Any pointers or pictures appreciated.

TIA,
Paul

P

PNewitt

On the underside of the decklid, as if it was installed, and in the open position; feel with your hand along the inside top edge of that structural "rib", just inside, and around the corner, of where the weatherstripping is glued on.

There is a small, rectangular hole, about 1.5" wide by about 1" tall. This is the hole for the courtesy light--which wasn't installed on the GT/CS, but was on the '68 Shelby convertible. Every original GT/CS decklid has this hole (go out and look for it, and you'll find it) Also--as if the decklid was "up", look at the lower right corner--there are two holes, for wiring, etc. Each of the two holes are of a different diameter (about 1/4", and 3/8").

These are signs of an original decklid. And--oh, when it's closed, it's supposed to have a slight "bow" on the sides.

Maybe this helps,

Paul.

OP
OP
F

fast65

A big thanks for these details and the link to the past discussion.

This really helps me to make the choice.

Best Regards,

Paul:smile: