• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dash Panel Brake Light ON?

Wild Willie

while I have not investigated it yet, thought I'd ask if anyone knows why the Dash Panel Brake Light stays on when the not engaged? is it as simple as a brake light switch on the trans, shifter switchg or someting simple...?

dalorzo_f

Good info.

But one thing I've always wondered is how the.... &*)#%.. you get a torque wrech on areas like the lines on the distribution block...

On most its a challenge to make a custom bent wrench to even get to the nut, let alone a torque wrench... which mostly rely on sockets and a long lever arm! ;-)

OP
OP
W

Wild Willie

Thanks for the advise and link.... was able to pull the plug from the Brake distribution block sesnor and the Brake light went away...:) now need to figure out if it is a wiring or sensor short or non centered valve in the Block...:scared: Thanks.

franklinair

Past experience has shown me that it is an off centered valve in the distribution block.
Follow the procedure to re-center the sensor. That should remedy the problem.

Neil

OP
OP
W

Wild Willie

Thanks All for the advise....

I will check for fluid leaks at the wheels since I do not see a leak around the differential valve. If this does not help I will drive and see if I can center the valve by a quick jab on the brakes. If both do not clear the light I will try to follow the procedure noted.

I'm not 100% clear on the instruction below so is the Brake Tube Nut the Nut Plug at one end of the differential valve?

Dennis

** There is a 4 step process to correct this, shop manual states "to centralize the pressure differential valve and turn off the warning light
1) Turn the ignition switch to the ACC or ON position. Lossen the differential valve assembly brake tube nut at the outlet port on the opposite side of the brake system that was bled last. Depress the brake pedal slowly to build line pressure until the pressure differential valve is moved to a centralized poition and the brake warning light goes out; then, immediately tighten the oulet port tube nut to the specified torque ***
2) Check the fluid level in the master cylinder reserviors and fill them to within 1/4 inch of the top with the specified brake fluid, if neccessary
3) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position
4) Before driving the vehicle, check the operation of the brakes and be sure that a firm pedal is obtained

Ruppstang

I am no expert but I think I would open either a front or back bleeder screw so not to get air in the system. Marty

franklinair

That's the way I've done it (bleed @ a wheel cylinder). That way you don't get brake fluid on the inner fender panel.

Neil

Mosesatm

And brake fluid instantly disolves most paints so running it down a freshly painted inner fender will result in a striped inner fender.
Try repainting that with the distribution block in the way!