• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Country drive with a 427 under the hood

CougarCJ

Well it wasn't a 1968 Mustang, but it was a 1968 Cougar. A black XR7 GT-E to be exact.

Brought one of our customers cars back to the shop today. This is a real, W code 427-4V Cougar. Beautiful car, older picture, it now has the correct exhaust tips.

427-68.jpg

Brian's parting words to me were "If you wreck it, wreck it good". Man what a sweet ride.

I don't know if any of you watch the show "Gearz" with Stacey David on Speed channel? Stacey is doing a 1967 Cougar build and my company is kicking in lots of the parts. We will be filming a short segment next week that should air with the show. My boss wanted a few Cougars around the place for the background shots. I will try and post some more pictures if anyone is interested.

I don't want to spoil the surprise, but here is a small peek at the engine for the Cougar.
kaase.jpg

Ruppstang

Man how rare is that. A real W code, first real one I have ever seen and you got to drive it! You lucky dog. How does it perform say compared to a 390? Marty

J.Bart

my bet is that it is ..... more??? everything???????

i don't recognise the valve covers though?????

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Man how rare is that. A real W code, first real one I have ever seen and you got to drive it! You lucky dog. How does it perform say compared to a 390? Marty

They made 256 W code XR7 Cougar GT-E's, and 101 standard Cougars.

I would say by the seat of my pants, that it is comparable to a 351W-4V and a 302-4V.

It is very similar to my 428CJ, but the 427 is faster revving and lots more top end, so they tell me.

rananim

In 1976 while stationed in Quantico, Va, I test drove 5 or 6 Shelbys (both 350's and 500's), the highest selling for $3300. They weren't in the best shape - this was before everyone started restoring them - so I passed in favor of a Highland Green '68 Couger XR-7 GT-E for $800, but rust free. It had the factory 4 speed, leather interior and NO vinyl top. I sold it the following year for two reasons: In order to change the rear spark plugs, I had to loosen the engine mounts and jack the engine up and secondly, it took premium gas which was approaching 60 cents a gallon. I got $825 for it and bought a brand new 1977 Toyota pick up for $3800. I wonder how much those are worth now?

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

In 1976 while stationed in Quantico, Va, I test drove 5 or 6 Shelbys (both 350's and 500's), the highest selling for $3300. They weren't in the best shape - this was before everyone started restoring them - so I passed in favor of a Highland Green '68 Couger XR-7 GT-E for $800, but rust free. It had the factory 4 speed, leather interior and NO vinyl top. I sold it the following year for two reasons: In order to change the rear spark plugs, I had to loosen the engine mounts and jack the engine up and secondly, it took premium gas which was approaching 60 cents a gallon. I got $825 for it and bought a brand new 1977 Toyota pick up for $3800. I wonder how much those are worth now?

Rananim, do you have any of the door data plate or VIN information on that GT-E you used to own?

They only made 3 - 4 speed GT-E's, and they were all R code 428CJ's.
The W code 427-4V was only available with C6 automatic.

A 1977 Toyota HiLux is probably worth $1000 these days. :grin:

Ruppstang

They made 256 W code XR7 Cougar GT-E's, and 101 standard Cougars.

I would say by the seat of my pants, that it is comparable to a 351W-4V and a 302-4V.

It is very similar to my 428CJ, but the 427 is faster revving and lots more top end, so they tell me.

I am suprised there were that many in Cougars. The were suppose to be a small handful of W code Mustangs but I have never seen one. One of the questions I missed on my judges test was what transmission were available with the W code 427? I guessed 4speed, later I found it listed in a early Mustang show room brochure C-6 automatic. Marty

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

A little more history on the 1968 Mercury Cougar GT-E with 427-4V.

The 427 GT-E engines were all hydraulic lifter 427 side oilers. They used the 427 Low Riser cylinder head design with 390 GT exhaust manifolds. The camshaft was the same grind as the GT 390, but the cam itself was a different part number than the GT 390 because the side oiler must have a grooved journal on #2 and #4 cam bearing in order to feed the rocker shafts.

The intake was the C7AE 9425-F, the same intake used on the 1967 W-code 427 Fairlane and Comet, as well as the 428 PI and the 1968 Shelby GT500 (not GT500KR).

Took some current pictures of my friends Cougar. These show the correct exhaust tips, and engine - but without smog.
gteenginebrian.jpg

gtesidebrian.jpg
My little friend Joel Rush.
gtefrontbrian.jpg

gterearbrian.jpg