• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Congratulations Mike Jewell – SAAC 35

Doug

This was found on the the SAAC site: Reporting on 68 GOLD wins:

"We even had a Cal Spec in our group. Car was own by Mike Jewell and won gold as well. It was a 390 4 spd car."

Great Job -

CalGal68

Congratulations Mike! Wonderful news - sorry we missed the banquet and learned of the gold first hand! Thanks for adding to our nice time at Infineon. Enjoyed seeing everyone.
~ Debra

miller511

Congrats Mike!!! That Highland Green CS of yours is an outstanding example of concours. Glad it was recognized. It was nice to see you and Robinette, as well as seeing Bob T., Paul, and others on Saturday at Infineon.
-Jeff

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Thank you all

Doug, Debra and Fred, Jeff, and all who attended the show, Thank you for all your support this weekend and for your friendship. A great time was had by all. JBart made a big statement on the track and shared that with several people by having them ride as passengers. Amy and Bob Teets made several laps with Bart. What a beautiful SUPER GT/CS he has. JBart held his own staying in 4th and 5th place against cobras and R model '65 and '66 Shelbys.

Mark Hamel and his wife Diane, Scott Fuller, Jeff Speegle, Ron Richards, Rick Kopec, Joe Praxel, Dan and his wife Linda, Ryan and his dad Rick, Ron and Liz Normanden, Paul and Liea, My lovely wife Robinette and my oldest daughter Amber, Dan (made the trip with Bob t.) John and his son Ben, Ron Davis and his son, and several others who I am sorry their names escape me as I write this, and other GT/CS owners and enthusiast who joined our group. On a funny note, Sunday morning I was starting cars and warming them up. I started the copper GT/CS, then went to my Green car (something special), started it and then moved to Ron Normanden's Presidential Blue CS, while I was inserting the key, Something Special passed me. "WHAT THE ?????????" I jumped out of Rons car and ran after mine, yanking on the Parking Brake. It was set, but not set hard enough. The paddock had a slight downhill and it started rolling. 4 speed you know. Thank goodness there were no other cars on the field yet in front of it. LOL

I was amazed at the number of Shelby owners who also own a GT/CS who came by.

The SAAC folks made us feel like part of the family and gave us unlimited space to set up a paddock area. I can't thank them enough for their hospitality. For those who have never been to a SAAC convention, it is like stepping back in time onto a racetrack in the late 60s. R models, Boss 302 Trans Am racers, Cobra's, Boss 9s, etc. all with open exhaust and High Octane fuel. INCREDIBLE.

My Daughter Amber drove our Copper GT/CS out on the track for parade laps which like JBart said was more like warm up laps. She is hooked on racing now. (OH NO!!!!) She sure made me proud. Her mother was riding in another car so she couldn't yell at Amber to slow down. LOL Two '68 GT/CSs used for open track had catastrophic failures, one (Dan) burned a valve or two, blowing and breaking spark plugs, and the other (Joe Praxel) scattered his throw out bearing. Bummer

Bob Teets won 1st place in the Popular Car Vote Car show. He was lost when they were announcing the awards and walked up just as they called his name and didn't even know what he had won. (We told him he won the LOTTERY. We all had a good laugh over that. )

The wind was really blowing during the BBQ, but noone seemed to care. It was so much fun some people who had paid the $45.00 for the banquet forfeited their seats to stay at the BBQ. There is the FAMILY dedication the GT/CS folks have. I can't find my camera while I write this so I'll have to post pics later. I hope others will post pics as well. Mike

Last edited:

di81977

Congratulations Mike, well deserved. I can't wait to see Bob later this week so I can give him a hard time about winning the "lottery". Good to see our cars being recognized.

david

admin

Staff member
Administrator
while I was inserting the key, Something Special passed me. "WHAT THE ?????????" I jumped out of Rons car and ran after mine, yanking on the Parking Brake. It was set, but not set hard enough. The paddock had a slight downhill and it started rolling. 4 speed you know. Thank goodness there were no other cars on the field yet in front of it. LOL
Yikes! Glad that story had the ending it did. It could have been a whole lot worse. :icon_pani

Thanks for the write-up and I'm sure we're all looking forward to a ton of photos when you get a chance.

Congrats Mike and Bob on the awards! Sounds like a great time was had by everyone.

hookedtrout

Congrats Mike, sure glad you caught up to the CS before it caught up with something else. I find the issue for me is that pulling too hard you risk breaking the handle off so you have a tendency to be careful and occassionally don't get it set hard enough, catch 22 I guess.

di81977

Doug, link did not work. Could be user error on my part, though.

david

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

http://bkginc.zenfolio.com/p34372181/ is the correct link - I copied this link and then pasted it on the search (http area) and it worked. I am not a computer expert so this is all I know.

I did notice that when I clicked on the site link that I listed on the CS site that the p34372181 did not show up.

Just tried again if you copy the above link and paste it in your broser it will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

somethingspecial

Thanks Tim, Jon, Cory, It was lucky there were no cars on the field yet, it was at 0630 in the morning. I grabbed the shaft in front of the handle in fear it would break off and the car would keep going. I always carry an extra handle to shows as I too have replaced several. All is well. Mike

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Doug, I fixed your links. For some reason they needed a / at the end. Not sure why, but as you said if you cut and pasted the link directly into your browser it works even without the / at the end. Go figure.:undecided

Great photos. I didn't see any GT/CS cars, but maybe I skimmed the pics too fast.

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

Doug, I fixed your links. For some reason they needed a / at the end. Not sure why, but as you said if you cut and pasted the link directly into your browser it works even without the / at the end. Go figure.:undecided

Great photos. I didn't see any GT/CS cars, but maybe I skimmed the pics too fast.

THANKS for fixing it

aemoo28

Congrats Mike!!! That Highland Green CS of yours is an outstanding example of concours. Glad it was recognized. It was nice to see you and Robinette, as well as seeing Bob T., Paul, and others on Saturday at Infineon.
-Jeff

Jeff, we were wondering who you were in that black CS. Great meeting everyone.
I flew down last minute to ride with JBart, and yes we forfeited our Shelby banquet to stay with ''our people''. How could we not? Mike & Robinette are wonderful hosts, and that grill aroma was hard to pass up!
Thought Bob should get a chance on the track so I gave him one of my laps; he looked so cute in the helmet!
Thank you everyone, and congrats to Bob Teets & Mike for winning.
Most of all, thank you Jbart for airport patrol x2, letting me be his track co-pilot once again, and letting me drive that Super CS the last few hours on our cross country road trip!

(Oops kinda hijacked the thread into my ''thank you'' speech.)

somethingspecial

pics

First of all, I forgot to mention Jeff Miller also showed up to support the team. Sorry Jeff. We had soooo many show up I lost track. Well, for some reason my pics won't download because a security token was missing. Jon, Can you help?

somethingspecial

I'll try a smaller download

let's try this.

Attachments

• 101_2792.jpg
    101_2792.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 101_2802.jpg
    101_2802.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 101_2808.jpg
    101_2808.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 101_2809.jpg
    101_2809.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 77

somethingspecial

more

Pic 2 Ron N. goes over a judges sheet with Cheif Head judge Gordo.

Pic 3 left to right:

Amber, Robinette, Mike, Jeff Miller, Ron Normandin, Linda and Dan Souza, Mark and Diane Hamill, JBart, Scott Fuller, Amy, Fred and Debra (CalGal68), Paul and Liea, Ryan ?, John and Ben, Rick (Ryans Dad), Bob Teets and his friend Dan.

Attachments

• 101_2811.jpg
    101_2811.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 101_2812.jpg
    101_2812.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 101_2819.jpg
    101_2819.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 101_2816.jpg
    101_2816.jpg