• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Codes..??

AppyBaby

What do these codes mean?..J-code..C-code any others.Since I'm searching for my husbans anniversary gift I guess I should know...thanks

admin

Staff member
Administrator
They refer to the 5th digit of the VIN which corresponds to the engine size.

200-1V 6-cyl (T code)
289-2V 8-cyl (C code)
302-4V 8-cyl (J code)
390-2V 8-cyl (X code)
390-4V 8-cyl (S code)
428-4V 8-cyl (R code)

So a "J code" car would have a VIN like 8R01Jxxxxxx which would mean it originally came from the factory with a 302-4V engine.

twoclassics

R code GT/CS are nothing but trouble. I have heard that if you buy one there will be a whole lot of maintenance costs and other problems related to the R code. IF you find one let me know, especially if it is going for cheap money, and I will buy it and have it disposed of properly. ::) ::) ::) ::)

390cs68rcode

[quote author=twoclassics link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=0#msg15969 date=1130366540]
R code GT/CS are nothing but trouble. I have heard that if you buy one there will be a whole lot of maintenance costs and other problems related to the R code. IF you find one let me know, especially if it is going for cheap money, and I will buy it and have it disposed of properly. ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

yeeeaaahhh rrriiigghhhtttt

PS. I will pay more than twoclassics. ;D ;) :p

68sunlitgold

Appybaby,
if you post on here what your husband likes, ie alot of horsepower to go fast, good gas miles, color, daily driver or show car....we can help you decipher what you should be looking for.

Doug

Mosesatm

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=0#msg15997 date=1130457888]
Appybaby,
if you post on here what your husband likes, ie alot of horsepower to go fast, good gas miles, color, daily driver or show car....we can help you decipher what you should be looking for.

Doug
[/quote]

Now there is a brilliant idea. Looks like Doug just joined Casey in the genius category. And I'm the one who needs to run "genius" and "category" through spellcheck!!!

nfrntau

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=0#msg15997 date=1130457888]
ie alot of horsepower to go fast,
Doug
[/quote]
Just cuz I'm in one of those moods
It doesn't take alot of horsepower to go fast. It just takes alot of horsepower to go fast fast.
Bill ::) ::)

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

I have posted what I'm looking for in discussion forums..WANTED '68 California Special..see that discussion but I will answer what I can hear..for now..

like lots of horse power(who doesnt) but would like good gas mil,will mostly be a show car except in the summer where it would be driven more..by me ;D color I'm not sure..midnight black/blue but if he gets a fixer upper then he can have what ever color he wants..does this help?Any more/other questions please either here or under my other discussion thread and will try to answer..

Appybaby,

Doug
[/quote]

390cs68rcode

like lots of horse power(who doesnt) but would like good gas mil

not gonna happen

my 390 CS (325 hp) gets 10-11 mpg with highway driving. This car has as much power as you can realistically buy in a CS. A 289/302 (200-225 hp) has fair power and probably gets 15 mpg.

Mosesatm

I knew if I waited long enough I could say this again!!! Nissan 3.5L V-6 285 net hp bone stock. ;D

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

Well guess I'll have to do 2 cars..1 a show muscle car and the other for show but driven more..1 with some what good gas mils and the other a gas guzzler.. ;D..arent I a great wife or what..now is this possible ???

Mosesatm

Appy, I think 2 important questions we need answers to before we can figure out what is possible are:
How much do you want to spend?
and
What kind of gas mileage are you looking to get?

My old GT/CS had a 289 (smallest V8) with a 2 barrel carb (smallest carb), a 4-speed (no best for mileage), and 2.79 gears (almost the tallest available) in the rear. Even with all those components the best mileage I ever got on the highway was 23mpg @ 70mph. I doubt the straight 6 (T-code) gets much better mileage so what I would do is get a 302 4V (J-code) with a 3-spped or 4-speed manual transmission.

Since these are old cars without computers or fuel injection so they are not capable of returning the mileage of newer cars.

If my wife were to ask me what GT/CS I wanted for Christmas (assuming the Green Hornet was not an option) I'd go for a 302 4V (J-code), with a 4-speed, and 3:00 or 3:25 gears. That is a good compromise between performance and mileage and if more performance is wanted later the 302 can be easily modified to achieve that goal. A 3-speed manual would also work since it's so easy to add a 4-speed, or even a 5-speed later.

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

Arlie
Check out my other thread..WANTED '68 California Special..what my husband is looking for is in that thread..

Mosesatm

I have read your original post and I find it to be little vague. That is why I am trying to get a little more information from you. We are all trying to help you in your quest but repeatedly saying, "check out my other thread" isn't going to get it done.

rvrtrash

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=0#msg16008 date=1130467296]

my 390 CS (325 hp) gets 10-11 mpg with highway driving. This car has as much power as you can realistically buy in a CS. A 289/302 (200-225 hp) has fair power and probably gets 15 mpg.
[/quote]

My "J" code 302 with automatic, freshly rebuilt (600 miles) to 275 horse, 3.00 rear end, gets 16.5 miles per gallon, as if it really mattered.
Steve

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

Email me ALL the questions on EVERYTHING I should ask my husband about..then maybe I'll have the information you want..so I can find the car for my husband..

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16032 date=1130514341]
I have read your original post and I find it to be little vague. That is why I am trying to get a little more information from you. We are all trying to help you in your quest but repeatedly saying, "check out my other thread" isn't going to get it done.
[/quote]

case12

The questions are simple:

1. What color does he want - if blue: light, med or dark
2. What engine does he want - 6 cyl, 289, 390
3. What color interior does he want - this is limited to the outside color he chooses
4. What shape does he want the car to be in - factory new, perfect, good, fair, or poor - this sets the $ and how much time he wants to spend with it.
5. What options does he want - air, power steering, power brakes are the most popular
6. How much does he want to pay
7. Where is he willing to ship the car from

All that said, they dont make them anymore, so the market is limited to what was made 40 years ago, so there will then be trade-offs of the things listed above as to which are the most important. For me the priority order was: perfect shape, 289 or 390 engine, price and color.

Hope this helps. Casey

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

Check for answers..let me know if you would like to know anything else...

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16042 date=1130529005]
The questions are simple:

1. What color does he want - if blue: light, med or dark
Would prefer midnight blue/Opal finish with white interior but willing to look at others.If he/we find a fixer upper can paint what color we want.This is his specialty..painting/finishing.

2. What engine does he want - 6 cyl, 289, 390
302 boss 6/8cyl which ever it is.

3. What color interior does he want - this is limited to the outside color he chooses
white interior but will look at others.

4. What shape does he want the car to be in - factory new, perfect, good, fair, or poor - this sets the $ and how much time he wants to spend with it.
Like either good shape/drivable or poor to fix up the way he/we want.

5. What options does he want - air, power steering, power brakes are the most popular
power steering,power brakes,air,standard tranny,convertable soft top

6. How much does he want to pay
willing to pay what the car(s) is worth.

7. Where is he willing to ship the car from
Would like the car in Canada but willing to ship from the States.Prefer northern-western states but will look at others.

All that said, they dont make them anymore, so the market is limited to what was made 40 years ago, so there will then be trade-offs of the things listed above as to which are the most important. For me the priority order was: perfect shape, 289 or 390 engine, price and color.

Hope this helps. Casey
[/quote]