• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Changing Blubs in dash

green56

Does any body have a smiple way of changing the light blub in the dash tried to feel up under dash but could not find any help would do

@Holmes

Ahh removing the screws for the first time pulling on the cluster and cracking the plastic on the one you forgot to look for, the sound of the seal around the spedo cable and fire wall braking for the first time, the snag of the wireing harness striping - finding a build sheet - priceless. Not a fun project. FYI Remove the speedo cable before you try to pull the cluster out. The fun part is putting it back in. But if you are going to take it out do yourself a favor and put a mini tach in the clock blank while you have the cluster out.

66hcs-conv

Hi gang,

When doing dash work on a 65- 66 I always put an old towel on the steering column, to prevent scratches. Don't know if that is necessary on the 68's or not.

Have fun! Dave

dpheyes

While you are at it...

As we speak, it's just dumped 18" of snow overnight here in Alaska and I have today off. So, naturally I have my instrument cluster spread all over the kitchen table so I can restore it. What else is there to do when you are stuck in your igloo?

Since I have it all torn apart, I will be replacing all the bulbs with LEDs. I found a seller on e-bay where you can get 10 1895 LED bulbs for $10 with free shipping. Too bad there are 12 bulbs, so I need to get two sets.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=tab=Watching&item=190285769331&viewitem=

Doug

PFSlim

Doug

Now is the time to install a tach in the dash, if you don't have one. Many folks have posted here in the past about buying a tach from "Down Under" that fits perfectly in the clock hole. During my restoration in 2004, I put in a jeep CJ tach, which looked and worked perfectly.

Paul

franklinair

The tach's are available thru Mustangs Unlimited - from the guy downunder. WELL worth doing.
If you are using white LED's, my instructions said to REMOVE the blue lenses that cover the bulbs (blubs?) Works great.

Neil

hicountrybob

The tach's are available thru Mustangs Unlimited - from the guy downunder. WELL worth doing.
If you are using white LED's, my instructions said to REMOVE the blue lenses that cover the bulbs (blubs?) Works great.

Neil
AND no matter which bulbs you use, change ALL of them while you're at it. SO RIGHT about a FUN and Exciting time w/ the R and R. Don't overlook the extreme right side nut. Have at it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob T. here.

OP
OP
G

green56

Does any body know were i could get a built sheet for the dash thanks

robert campbell

In my old age, I remove the steering wheel. and use the towel on the column. Makes it ALOT easier! There is one "tinners" (stamped sheetmetal) nut right near the spot where the instrument cluster dash meets the center section on the backside of the cluster dash piece. You have to get this nut off. Dropping the ash tray and the ashtray inner mount (3 screws and you need a short stubby philips) helps. Also helps in finding that elusive flasher unit!

Rob