• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ceramic Tri-Y Header Installation and Question?

68MustangHCS

Has anyone installed Tri-Y Headers on a 68 Mustang with 289 3 or 4 speed?
I have a set from C.J.Pony, and looking at them, it appears that there may be issues clearing the linkage from the firewall to the transmission. I'm looking at it and wondering if the long pipes are going to be rubbing and getting scratched up from the linkage. I also understand there are issues with the power steering.

I would like to install these with Heat tape covering the single pipe backward from the tri-y. Anyone have any issues with this type of installation, and what kind of adjustments are needed to get these to fit correctly? Can you post pictures of the clearance?

rvrtrash

68MustangHCS said:
I also understand there are issues with the power steering.

QUOTE]

I have Doug Thorley Tri-Y's in my J code but it's with an automatic. As far as the power steering, I bought an adapter that drops the control valve 1" and it has plenty of clearance.
Steve

Mustanger

rvrtrash said:
68MustangHCS said:
I also understand there are issues with the power steering.

QUOTE]

I have Doug Thorley Tri-Y's in my J code but it's with an automatic. As far as the power steering, I bought an adapter that drops the control valve 1" and it has plenty of clearance.
Steve

Steve,
Just out of curiosity, are your headers "Doug's" or are they "Thorley's" ?? ... same guy, just 2 different companys (Doug Thorley is running "Doug's", his ex-wife is running "Thorley's").

PFSlim

We did not buy our headers, they came from our engine builder, however I always thought of them as Tri-Y "like". Maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, I included a few pictures to see if they help or not.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang436.JPG
    Stang436.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Stang409.JPG
    Stang409.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Stang419.JPG
    Stang419.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 31

PFSlim

By the way, our car is an automatic car. It used to be power steering until this year. Now a manual steer car. You can see some heat shielding on the pass side of the car. We did not ever notice any heating problem with the power steering side.

Paul

rvrtrash

Mustanger said:
rvrtrash said:
Steve,
Just out of curiosity, are your headers "Doug's" or are they "Thorley's" ?? ... same guy, just 2 different companys (Doug Thorley is running "Doug's", his ex-wife is running "Thorley's").

You blew your chance to make some coin off me because I would've bet money that Summit Racing had them advertised as "Doug Thorley" when I bought them 2 years ago but I just went out and checked and they're marked "Thorley". I bought the chrome ones and would still recommend them to anyone. They're the only header I've ever installed that I've started from the top and had them slide out the bottom onto the floor when I let go.
Steve

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Mustanger said:
rvrtrash said:
Steve,

I don't think they are Thorley headers or Doug headers....I bought them as listed as "Ceramic Tri-Y Headers" from C.j. Pony's. I'm trying to find someone with a Standard Transmission installation...Would like to hear of your success in installing them and any problems.

Mustanger

68MustangHCS said:
Mustanger said:
I don't think they are Thorley headers or Doug headers....I bought them as listed as "Ceramic Tri-Y Headers" from C.j. Pony's. I'm trying to find someone with a Standard Transmission installation...Would like to hear of your success in installing them and any problems.

There are several manufacturers of Tri-Y's, usually in the $125 - $200 range. Doug's or Thorley's Tri-Y headers are a better quality header costing a bit more, I think around $400 ... like I said, you are paying for better quality and usually easier installation ...

Mosesatm

Are $400 headers worth the extra $200-$275? I'm thinking about going with headers but I'd probably lean towards the $200 set unless there is a substantial difference in quality, or sound, or installation ease.

rvrtrash

Well my "Thorley's" literally dropped in. I've never done one that was easier. I also liked the idea that they were heavier guage steel and chromed. It seems with the "regular" headers you're replacing them every 4-5 years because they rust or burn through, and I didn't want to pop my hood and see a brown header in an otherwise nice engine bay.
Steve

Perkchiro

rvrtrash said:
Well my "Thorley's" literally dropped in. I've never done one that was easier. I also liked the idea that they were heavier guage steel and chromed. It seems with the "regular" headers you're replacing them every 4-5 years because they rust or burn through, and I didn't want to pop my hood and see a brown header in an otherwise nice engine bay.
Steve

I used cast iron 289 hypos on my 302 resto. They won't "burn through".

68gt390

rvrtrash said:
I didn't want to pop my hood and see a brown header in an otherwise nice engine bay.
Steve

Last time I used chrome headers I had a problem with them changing color (turned blue) close to the exhaust ports. I'm currently using Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Coated headers and have had no problems with either burn through or discoloration. I also like them based on the fact they are fairly easy to clean should anything drip onto them with some basic cleaner.

Don