• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Carb Spacer

green56

Just wondering by putting a spacer under the carb what benefit by doing this is this going to give the car better performance the car is a autolite 2 bbl Thanks Tom FromWI

robert campbell

Most, if not all, 1960's Ford V8 engines with a 2 barrel carb came with a factory Ford 1 inch spacer under the carb. It was to isolate engine heat and to provide a vacuum source for the PCV valve. I have a couple laying around if you need one. Free of course, but you pay shipping.

Rob

OP
OP
G

green56

Thanks Rob but I have one for a couple of years and just woundering if I put it on what would be the benefit thanks for the info Tom from WI

Mosesatm

Tom,
If you're not using the spacer and that associated vacuum port how are you depressurizing the valve covers? One side has a vented oil fill cap, but what's on the other side?

OP
OP
G

green56

Carb spacer

Like you said one side has the oil cap but the other side has nothing so what does this mean? if I put the spacer on will that take care of the problem Thanks Tom from WI

franklinair

The right (pax) side valve cover has a PCV (Positive Crankcase Vent) mounted on it, connected by a hose to the rear side of the carb spacer. The left (driver side) has the removable cap for oil servicing, connected by a hose to the Air Breather on the carb.
I have photos, but for some reason I can't attach them to my post. :-( Happens to me a lot.

Neil

Mosesatm

Tom,
Do you have the original style valve covers and air cleaner or are they aftermarket?
Here is how the hose connects to the valve cover through the PCV valve.

Attachments

• DSCN1260.jpg
    DSCN1260.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48