• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carb issues...? Need help all...

Edward Bodoh

Hi all. looking for info on correcting issue with carb. The only way i can start car (4 bbl carb J code) is priming with Carb choke cleaner. After a quick couple sprays it starts right up and after 1 minute of acceleration it idles fine. As long as the engine is warm it also starts right up. I recently replaced fuel tank, fuel filter, wires and plugs are good, blew lines and fuel pump seems good-didn't change though. I had rust in tank but was told pump should be fine.

Do i need a rebuild on carb or just a tune up on it? Mabye adjusting the air/fuel screws? Or a new fuel pump-which i kinda doubt. Also running points still and they seem fine too. Note when i hit the pedal when cruising at speed limit it stutters for a split second then takes off. The more i read this it seems i need a tune up on it....any help would be appreciated. Thx all.

Ed-Ivy Gold GT/CS-Resto Begins.

green56

Carb issues

I had the same sort of the same problem had hard time starting car then when i was out on the road and stepped on gas it would hesitate then it would go i found out it was the vac plate in distrib it moved to far that is why i had a problem starting car that is why it was not working so i replaced distrib adjusted the carb timming and adjusted the floot car runs fine this is a 289 2 b

Mosesatm

It sounds like a choke issue.
Is the choke butterfly open or closed when you try to start the cold engine?

66hcs-conv

I would check the float levels(s).

If the needles & seats are bad will the fuel leak out of the carb, and then the bowl will have to refill on start up? I dunno.

Good luck, lets us know what ya find. Dave

OP
OP
E

Edward Bodoh

On the right track...

So I looked into the choke butterfly being open...knew it was. So i had the misses give it the classic 2 pumps on the pedal, and while holding it closed while she cranked it fired right up....all 3 times. Which is huge for me since carbs aren't my forte. Now I gotta look into why its open on cold start. Believe its a manual choke. Linkage loioks good...not tampered with I should say. Gonna inspect when i get day off. More input would be great. Thx for input...mosesatm u got me on right track! U too Dave and green. Don't know anybody local I can trust just yet on my car.